The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is anyone buying shorter end links for the front sway bars? My truck has been lowered 4/6 since forever but I bought an energy suspension sway bar bush kit a short time ago and the ES end links are the same size as factory, meaning the end of the sway bar where it mounts to the end links is on a crackhead angle, which i imagine might flog out my bushings in a short time.
If so, what size shorter end links would be ideal? I guess I need to take into account steering linkage clearance too.

Cheers

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So here's today's stupid lowered questions. (2)

(1) - Clamping the leaf springs so I can remove the overload spring and spacer, and replace with the new center bolt and nut Belltech supplied. This is on the '93 C3500 dually. I've never been real big on pulling any leafs, but the kit says I should pull this one so it won't contact the stops blah blah. Would y'all pull the leaf? I'm tempted to since Belltech says so, and it's not like I'm going to tow anything heavy with this dropped beater dually.

(2) - It's been probably 14-15 years since I clamped a leaf pack and pulled the center bolt. I know the pack is under some degree of tension but I can't remember how much. The clamps I have now are the same ones I used forever ago but it sure seems like it's tough to get much of a bite inside the leaf instead of at the edge. I used a 3rd clamp to compress the bottom leaf at the ends and that let me get a better bite with the other clamps. I have them positioned near the ends of the bottom leaf because that's the only place I can really get them in there. My gut tells me closer to the center is better, but I just can't reach there, gap is too tight for the clamp. Pic below.. what do y'all think?

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm taking a dinner break then will probably be back out there in a couple hours doing what I can to get ready for tomorrow to cut the frame for the notch. Not gonna subject my wife and the neighbors to that noise after dark.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never done this and someone’s gonna chime in and say not needed, but because I don’t know, I probably would’ve put blocks and clamped the sides too.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I foresee, is you running out of clamp before you release all the tension. It shouldn’t be a whole bunch anyways, but I would make sure it’s not pointing at anything soft and fleshy if you have to persuade the clamps off with a hammer.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I plan on pulling a leaf or two out of mine, when the time comes. These truck are so stiff, they can stand to lose a little, if you want any comfort at all, and not planning on towing heavy. But you can always get some of that back with helper bags.

My crew cab had multiple leafs removed, if I remember correct, it had 4, maybe 5 still in it on both sides, with helper bags. I ran 5-10 psi in the bags when not carrying anything, and that was one of the best riding vehicles I've had.

Not sure the shorter wheel base of a regular cab will ride like that, but it's what I'll be shooting for.

The last time I pulled leafs, I put one big clamp on the pack, somewhat close to the bolt. Took the nut off the bolt, and slowly loosened the clamp. They all spread apart, but once I took out what I wanted, I was able to compress them enough, to get the clamp back on, work the bolt back through, and tighten the clamp.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did this on a square last Sunday. Not much tension at all, but you'll probably ruin the nut on the pin so be prepared to replace it. Those clamps are more than enough.
Yep, the kit comes with new center bolts and nuts, so no worries. Thanks for the confirm on the tension. I've done it but it's been so long I couldn't remember, but I do remember getting it done with these clamps..

I would remove the top leaf and the thick over load
Two overloads, technically, on a dually pack. The top one contacts the brackets on the frame when you load it down. Bottom one being a traditional overload leaf like lighter trucks have. I'm removing the top one and its spacer per the Belltech instructions. Not sure if I wanna remove the bottom one.

The only problem I foresee, is you running out of clamp before you release all the tension. It shouldn’t be a whole bunch anyways, but I would make sure it’s not pointing at anything soft and fleshy if you have to persuade the clamps off with a hammer.
I think I'm OK as these are 5" clamps and only compressed less than an inch. They're clamped apart from the top overload leaf and that's the one I'm removing after the center bolt comes out.

Richard