The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Shock extenders on a 4" drop could be used. I've considered that, just to get away from the compromised angles. For that I'd think that stock length shocks would probably work, but 2" shorter ones would be better.
As far as using aftermarket short springs, I'm not a fan of them. I have 2" shorter ones in my '98. While they may look more substantial, i.e., heavier gauge, they are designed to mimic the stock ride characteristics, which to me is too soft. Along with the lower height, that stocker softness adds to the prob of the occasional bottoming out. A really good set of shocks will help to cure some of that. My dream shocks are the dble. adjustable Steeda QA1's, but, at $375.00/ea., they are a ways down on my purchase list!
I prefer the drop spindles, as they do not affect the geometry of the suspension.
One of my buddies has virtually the same truck as my '98, suspension-wise, although he's running an LS engine which is probably a bit heavier than the V6 my truck has (had?). 4/7 drop. Only dif is that he cut his stock coils to get the additional 2" drop over & above the 2" spindles. Although the LS may keep his front end planted a bit better, the ride of his compared to mine is night & day.
Riding in his truck, it feels like it's on rails, as compared to mine. Chasing him, I could almost keep up in the corners, (Almost! He kills me in the straights, & that LS has the balls to pull him outa the corners way better than the 6!) but while my truck is doing the oingo-boingo stock-spring-feel-ride, bouncing on any little dip or bump in the road, his truck remains planted, allowing him to carry more speed both in & out of the corner.
So, just my opinion, for that 3" drop you want, I'd run a 2" drop spindle, with a cut coil. As I haven't cut my springs, yet, (I've been considering dropping my '97 to a 4/6, 4/7 drop) I'm not exactly sure on how much to cut for an additional 2" drop. My '97 is @ 2/4 now, & it's staying at that till my '98 has an LS heartbeat!
From what I've gathered from the forum, I believe that 1/2 a coil cut off = a 1" drop, although someone else with the experience will have to jump in here with more exact info.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man I could not agree more, I much prefer the ride of a stock properly cut coil as opposed to an aftermarket drop coil, and I have tried just about every brand there is. Now I say properly cut, if it has been torched then it's trash to me!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
X3 on the ride of a properly cut coil! My 90 had cut coils an spindles it Put me at 5 inches drop and rode leaps and bounds better than it did stock. I always laugh when somebody with no experience with cut coils comes in saying they ride like crap.

Sent from the big block!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, what you guys need to remember is that the springs are there just to hold the truck up. The shocks are there to control the springs, and the sway bars control the body. Herb Adams (who designed the first two generations of F-body suspension), held to the belief that soft springs (just enough to maintain ride height), combined with shocks with enough dampening to keep from bouncing-and maybe a touch more-kept the tire in contact with the road. Then, he used sway bars (massive ones) to control lean. I too normally cut coil and I do like the ride better, but then, I can't afford high end adjustable shocks.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the most drop I could put on my Z71 without any frame cutting?

I love the lowered look but need 4x4 for the snow. Also my wife is pretty short and has trouble getting in at stock height.

What brands are out there for 4x4's and what would the best and cheapest way to lower it.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've got some homework to do. Pretty much, you can drop the rear as far as you want-it's pretty much the same as a 2wd, and it would use the same parts. The front can get tricky. There's a thread on here about using NBS spindles on your 4x OBS. read through that and then think about the fact that the NBS 4xs and 2xs use the same spindle. So, theoretically, a dropped spindle from a NBS will work. Then, play with your torsion bars to get it down where you want it and you aren't pulling up all the reflectors on the road with whatever is hanging down-most likely the differential will be your limiting factor. Then drop the rear to suit. You'll also have to keep in mind that you're going to have to run same tires and wheels front and rear. NBS wheels may have the offset to tuck, and the bolt pattern will be correct.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Whats the most drop I could put on my Z71 without any frame cutting?

I love the lowered look but need 4x4 for the snow. Also my wife is pretty short and has trouble getting in at stock height.

What brands are out there for 4x4's and what would the best and cheapest way to lower it.

How far do you want to go blue 95 is basically a little taller than a 3/5 drop
His build
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6086

Adam