The stupid exhaust question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, ill be first. my cats are f'ed so im cutting them out at a shop. which of the following ways should i go about it? 1) gut the cats and leave my muffs dumped before axle 2) gut cats and run dumps after axle 3) remove and dump before axle or 4) remove and dump after axle

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont your cats have an o2 sensor or some sht, im not sure man i would like to know if its completely neccisarry

was also going to mention that a friend of mine has a 90 and ive got a 96 k1500 his is tbi mine is sfi

we have the same manifold/ypipe/cat/single in dual out/flowmaster 40 series with chrome tips at the bumper

and his truck sounds alot different than mine...

im not sure if its the tailpipe, the heads, the cat being older or the tbi

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lets say i wanted to do away with my catalytic converter

what do i do with the oxygen sensor?

will this affect my truck the way it runs?

creek rat

Reaction score
whats the advantage of true duals over a single in dual out muffler? more low end i presume?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what I've heard, but with duals you should run a cross pipe whether its a H-pipe or an X-pipe, as it evens out the pressure from each side of the engine. check out howard's (hquick?) thread on his home made exhaust and check out some of the things he's been doing.

creek rat

Reaction score
if i go duals im going with an H pipe, but im pretty sure a S/I D/O set up should be about the same, probably 2.75 from cats to muffler then 3'' out to the tips.i want the truck (if i get it) to sound good but i dont want to sacrafice MPG or more importantly, low end.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lets put it this way, taking the muffler off of my truck and doing a y pipe, i gained 1.5+ mpg in town.