The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zabo

Reaction score
Really don't feel like TLDRing the thread but here's my dilemma.

Picked up a '95 Tahoe Blazer LT for next to nothing. Aside from a dying 10 bolt rear and a finicky 241C case, it's also got the TBI Chug-a-lug at idle. It's sat for the past year and prior to coming into my possession the gas was purged, a new fuel filter installed, injectors cleaned (twice by myself), Dizzy replaced, new wires, plugs, shocks were newer Rancho. For an LT Trim it was in damn good shape for 235K miles.

I've replaced the O2 sensor (first idea) and also had a local hotrod wiring shop take a look at it (they own several T-400s so it's not foreign territory). Wiring came back good, no codes either. The O2 sensor solved a cold surging idle and stalling issue but for some odd reason the engine still chugs (won't stall) when idling in gear through a parking lot. Blip the gas (pedal is stiff) and 15mph+ the truck runs totally normal. I'm also getting oil pressure dips into the 20-15psi range but the truck has plenty of oil and there's no knocking or pinging.

I've narrowed it down to sensors now but I'm at a loss still.

JSIERRA

Reaction score
Sounds like it may be your cts sensor. Coolant temp Sensor. Its in the intake next to your thermostat housing. My truck had same symptoms and I changed that and was good to go. Could also be your tps sensor. Throttle position sensor.

Witace12

Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe. Vortec. How hard would it be to put in a 6.5L Turbo Diesel? I know it was an option, and I would use the same engine as the option.

mudtruck89

Reaction score
That would be your thematic air hose, its designed to pull warm air off of the exhaust when you first start your engine. Also I wouldn't recommend removing it because you will not pass a safety inspection without it unless you go to a place where the inspector doesn't care.

mudtruck89

Reaction score
Ok I have a project I could use a little guidance on. I want to swap my 350 TBI out for a 454 TBI. Basically I want to add some get up and go to my 89 1500 ECLB 4x4 and if possible use factory fuel injection. I'm not looking to build a monster of a truck so I can abuse the hell out of it by any means Id just like to have the torque of a 454. So my question is what will I need to do to make this happen? The specs on my truck is 700r4 trans, 373 rear end, and 33x12.50 tires. Also I apologize for the above post, I was trying to answer a question lol.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
That would be your thematic air hose, its designed to pull warm air off of the exhaust when you first start your engine. Also I wouldn't recommend removing it because you will not pass a safety inspection without it unless you go to a place where the inspector doesn't care.
Or you dont have inspection haha
Ok I have a project I could use a little guidance on. I want to swap my 350 TBI out for a 454 TBI. Basically I want to add some get up and go to my 89 1500 ECLB 4x4 and if possible use factory fuel injection. I'm not looking to build a monster of a truck so I can abuse the hell out of it by any means Id just like to have the torque of a 454. So my question is what will I need to do to make this happen? The specs on my truck is 700r4 trans, 373 rear end, and 33x12.50 tires. Also I apologize for the above post, I was trying to answer a question lol.
It's been done! Rip to your ten bolt though

brhaacke

Reaction score
I have a 96 5.7. When I start it cold and run down the road for a minute, the temp climbs up almost to 200, then drops back to 180. Is this normal?

I have had the thermostat replaced, as well as the fan clutch. It also has a new radiator due to the old one cracking. Also important to note that about 4 years ago I had to replace the manifold gasket. Other than that, I have not really done anything to it. It has 150K

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I have a 96 5.7. When I start it cold and run down the road for a minute, the temp climbs up almost to 200, then drops back to 180. Is this normal?

I have had the thermostat replaced, as well as the fan clutch. It also has a new radiator due to the old one cracking. Also important to note that about 4 years ago I had to replace the manifold gasket. Other than that, I have not really done anything to it. It has 150K

Mine does this too it doesn't seem to hurt anything. It only stays at 200 for a max of 30 seconds

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone