The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to find if the emissions/computer controls are the same for a 98 c3500 big block 454 as a 95 k2500 big block? Or please direct me to the proper thread. Thank u!

They won't' be the same 95 was still tbi injected and also considered an oddball year as far as wiring and engine management while a 98 is all vortec

xJLdep

Reaction score
They won't' be the same 95 was still tbi injected and also considered an oddball year as far as wiring and engine management while a 98 is all vortec

Thanks! not the news I wanted, but such is life! LOL I appreciate your assistance :)

JDBigtime

Reaction score
WHAT is the model of my transmisson? is it a new venture 3500 or what? 88gmc 5spd, looking for a donor trans and cant find anything good on the model of it on the ol google machine lol

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so have this truck, I was told it was a 305,seems kind of odd to lie about that , ( the other way around I could understand a little bit) , unless maybe he thought I was a fuel economy guy, ? the difference is negligible anyway...

So in my natural curiosity I did some research I found the truck originally had a 350 via the VIN , etc... I looked a the damper, it measured 5.75 , kind of tells me 305, I wasn't convinced, couldn't see any casting numbers without unbolting and becoming a contortionist so I opted for the valve cover removal, I figure if anything else I can get a good idea of what I have ( it's getting rebuilt anyway just to freshen it up and because I like doing it.)

I didn't pay allot for this beast so I'm not too concerned, I have 350's to go into it, it's not an issue but I was determined to find out this engine ,

Code under the valve cover indicates 141021193, this , according to some sites is 1.94/1.5 head 65cc used exclusively on 350's from 87 on. OK, I have a 350 ,,, but I decide to read on and find out conflicitng info on mortec.com indicating it may be a 1.84/1.5 and may have been used on a 305... I will go back out in the morning and look for casting #'s but the head numbers did not convince me. It's just a daily driver so the swirlies won't be a bad option for me , you can get good low end torque from them.

I also found a site that said 1.94's is the max for 305's , and also found reports they can be used with a relief in the cylinder,( which is doable) but I doubt that is the case here... lot's of bad info, but after-all it is free....

I'd love to hear some definitive input on this before i go getting out the play-doh and taking casting information ...lol..I can't see too well anymore

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
so have this truck, I was told it was a 305,seems kind of odd to lie about that , ( the other way around I could understand a little bit) , unless maybe he thought I was a fuel economy guy, ? the difference is negligible anyway...

So in my natural curiosity I did some research I found the truck originally had a 350 via the VIN , etc... I looked a the damper, it measured 5.75 , kind of tells me 305, I wasn't convinced, couldn't see any casting numbers without unbolting and becoming a contortionist so I opted for the valve cover removal, I figure if anything else I can get a good idea of what I have ( it's getting rebuilt anyway just to freshen it up and because I like doing it.)

I didn't pay allot for this beast so I'm not too concerned, I have 350's to go into it, it's not an issue but I was determined to find out this engine ,

Code under the valve cover indicates 141021193, this , according to some sites is 1.94/1.5 head 65cc used exclusively on 350's from 87 on. OK, I have a 350 ,,, but I decide to read on and find out conflicitng info on mortec.com indicating it may be a 1.84/1.5 and may have been used on a 305... I will go back out in the morning and look for casting #'s but the head numbers did not convince me. It's just a daily driver so the swirlies won't be a bad option for me , you can get good low end torque from them.

I also found a site that said 1.94's is the max for 305's , and also found reports they can be used with a relief in the cylinder,( which is doable) but I doubt that is the case here... lot's of bad info, but after-all it is free....

I'd love to hear some definitive input on this before i go getting out the play-doh and taking casting information ...lol..I can't see too well anymore

Get the block casting number, only real way to tell, the block will also have 5.7L or 5.0L stamped on it on the bell housing area.

193 heads are TBI 350 heads but would swap right on a 305

wellkyle

Reaction score
Ok i just dropped a brand new 350 into my 91 K1500 and i just have to reassemble the front end (alt, water pump, and power steering) and the TBI, what I need is a picture or a diagram or picture of where all the brackets are supposed to go. Anybody have anything to help me out?

Cagle11

Reaction score
Is there any way to bypass the o2 sensors on my 97 3/4ton with a vortec 350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tweezak

Reaction score
I haven't seen any mention on this site of the Frantz bypass oil filter. My brother who is a millwright and accomplished mechanic swears by them and has them on all of his vehicles. Is there a reason people here aren't using them?