The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Mine does the same cold start high idle. And the missing support rod probably has to do with the chirp.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Any way i can remove the drivers side valve cover without unhooking the a/c system .ect?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back the bolts that hold the accessory bracket off enough to pull it forward so that the valve cover lip will clear. You shouldn't have to unhook any lines.

Ego mobili

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 89 k1500. where is the vehicle speed senor (vss) located on this thing? I looked under it and the only wires I can see are a pigtail going to the top of the transfer case assuming its the indicator light, and one going to the output shaft on the t-case. NP 241C The haynes manual says the vss is on the pass. side of the trans at the output shaft but I found nothing. I have no speedo, odo, or trip meter. any help is good thanks

bettingsumo

Reaction score
Fan clutch???

Hello everyone! I have a noise I need some help identifying. Took the video below so you could hear it. This is from my 1999 Suburban K2500 7.4L. My first guess is a bad fan clutch, but I am not sure as this is my first time dealing with that. Anything else it could be? The noise comes at startup for a minute or two then typically goes away only to reappear every so often while I am driving.

http://youtu.be/hPqYaapdA2w

mdearman

Reaction score
Funny buzzing sound from relocated coil?

I've got a question about a noise I just started getting on my 89 K1500/5.7... I rebuilt my TBI over the weekend and while I was there, I relocated the coil to the firewall out of the way... now this morning I'm getting a buzzing noise? Doesn't matter if radio is on/off, or heater controls, but sounds like it is from the engine compartment. Is it from the coil...? Anybody have any experience with this or point me to where to look? I'll move the coil back tonight to see if that is what it is, but what would make the coil do that (if that's really the problem)?

------------

Just checked it out... it is coming from the fuel regulator. Any ideas? As I said, I rebuilt the TBI over the weekend, now this. Seemed pretty darn basic, but anybody seen this before?

Thanks!

Last edited:

senja

Reaction score
This is a good one. I have to say I've never heard this question before. 12:00 o'clock or 2:00 o'clock.....hum.
When the timing light flashes, you want it to flash when the mark, the straight line groove, on the damper is at the 1st notch on the timing mark. The timing mark is the notch on the sheet metal tab that's welded to the cam shaft cover plate. This "tab" is called the "timing plate" The timing plate has numbers on it. 0, 1, 2, 3. When the engine is at 0 degrees advance, the timing mark on the damper and the 0 notch on the timing plate will all be side by side, when the timing light flashes. There is no 12:00 oclock, 2:00 oclock. If the timing light does not flash when timing mark and 0 degree timing tab line up, then you have to move (slowly) the distributor. Ease off the tightness of the hold-down screw that's holding the distributor in place and try to rotate it...the distributor....clockwise, or counterclockwise....until the timing mark on the damper "moves" to the 0 on the timing plate...that's attached to the cam cover.
When in doubt, go buy a Haynes Automotive Repair Manual and they will walk you through the timing process. Remember to unplug the wire to the distributor BEFORE adjusting the distributor, and to replug it AFTER setting the distributor to 0 degrees. The ECM will do the timing for you.

xJLdep

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to find if the emissions/computer controls are the same for a 98 c3500 big block 454 as a 95 k2500 big block? Or please direct me to the proper thread. Thank u!