The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlytle

Reaction score
hmmm. So I’m guessing that my ds valve cover probably has an open hole in it. What kind of damage is this causing my motor?
I did some research and keep reading about how people are having idle issues cause of there pcv valves. She has issues starting {shaking and wanting to die, i have to keep in the throttle lightly} but after around 5 - 10 minutes of rough idle she feels better. Could the lack of a working pcv be a cause of this?
Thanks

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically no that missing hose won't cause a rough idle but you are sucking unfiltered air into your valve cover so i would replace the line.

94whitechevy

Reaction score
I have a 94 chevy truck and it won't run am having trouble with the timing. was wondering found a white wire coming of the Harness going to the coil. That goes to a clip and has nothing plugged into it. What should be plugged into that?

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering what all is needed to swap from flat tappet to roller cam?

I know you need the roller timing chain, roller lifters, dog bones, and spider, is there anything I'm missing?

And is there any difference between running dog bones versus the roller lifters with the connecting brackets?

boatfloater

Reaction score
i have an 89 that did the same thing come to find out my donut in between my exhaust manifold and downtube was gone.. popped a new one in no more knock it sounds weird i know but check for an exhaust manifold leak or down tube to manifold leak

My truck is a 1993 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 4.3 v6 it has developed a random knock its quiet at start up it mainly does it under light acceleration but its alot louder than a spark knock I have narrowed it down to the area of the flywheel inspection cover or the oil pan with a mechanics stethoscope.

Now I have heard these engines had a problem with the flywheel or flywheel bolt that give off a rod knock type sound does anybody here have any other ideas or have heard of this type issue with the flywheel?

bigtmoney

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering what all is needed to swap from flat tappet to roller cam?

I know you need the roller timing chain, roller lifters, dog bones, and spider, is there anything I'm missing?

And is there any difference between running dog bones versus the roller lifters with the connecting brackets?

Do you have provisions already machined and drilled for the GM spider? If so the difference is probably a savings of hundreds of dollars. If your block is ready you can go to the junkyard and grab all that stuff from a 96-00 vortec truck or SUV for the cheap.

I think you need to get lifters, dog bones, retainer and pushrods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kyviabama

Reaction score
I have a 94 chevy truck and it won't run am having trouble with the timing. was wondering found a white wire coming of the Harness going to the coil. That goes to a clip and has nothing plugged into it. What should be plugged into that?

Nothing, leave it unplugged. Although I don't know why it's there, mines the same.
Did you unplug the est black/tan wire behind the glove when setting base time?

CHIMPY

Reaction score
Alrighty, stupid question #1 coming from me!

After starting Medusa up she idles pretty high, in park, from what i can imagine would be normal. And when releasing the gas in the lower part of second gear she kind of bogs before kicking into idle.

So question is what needs to be fixed? Spark plugs and a carb jet change?

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty, stupid question #1 coming from me!

After starting Medusa up she idles pretty high, in park, from what i can imagine would be normal. And when releasing the gas in the lower part of second gear she kind of bogs before kicking into idle.

So question is what needs to be fixed? Spark plugs and a carb jet change?

my old truck does the same and still haven't figured it out. something to do with a vacuum leak more likely. egr valve maybe.

CHIMPY

Reaction score
my old truck does the same and still haven't figured it out. something to do with a vacuum leak more likely. egr valve maybe.

Alrighty, I'll check it out or have my mechanic I go to when all else fails check it out.

Also had another question!

I have a high pitched chirp after starting her up, but will go away when I spray a little something on the belt or if i wait for her to get at normal operating temperature. And I can't really figure out what the exact problem is because I've changed out the power steering pulley, idle pulley (with an old metal one, might be the issue, a bad bearing maybe) and the tension pulley.

There's also a bolt missing, where a bar connects to the back of my tensioner and I cant seem to find the size or where to buy one. And what looks like a rubber washer is loose on the rod in between my puller fan and the pulley it's connected to.

So any ideas? I'll try replacing that idle pulley as soon as I can get the extra dough but if that doesnt fix it I'm all out of ideas.

Sorry for the idiocy.. being young and inexperienced is a real dilemma! :banghead: