The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I don't think that this is classed as a stupid question but I'll put it here first to avoid forum clutter.

I have a TBI 350 in my 94. what are the best things I can do to help it out? not looking for anything ridiculous but want to "perk" it up a bit and maybe help the MPG at the same time.

all I've done is put a K&N filter in it because the janitor at my school gave it to me. I also have a brand new full exhaust system with a CAT and single pipe/ muffler. no dials

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad or low spark on the driver side bank...brand new fuel injectors, cap, rotor, plugs and wires. any ideas?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '97 350 vortec has begun to have a loud knock that speeds up as you accelerate and slows down at idle. Any ideas on what's gone out? I've got to get this fixed asap.

you ever get this fixed? another thing to check is your flexplate, ive seen cracked ones make all kinds of differant noises that sometimes come and go.

Reaction score
I have a 96 vortec motor that ran mint had good compression i dont like the way the cranks bearings looked, i have a tbi crank that i had cut a while back can i put that crank in the vortec engine without having to ballence everything?

94Chevy350

Reaction score
I have a 94 350 tbi in my silverado, i had it stored from december to now april. it had a little bit of bad gas but not much ran mint for 2 days now it is sluggish and at about 60 with 1/8th throttle it has a very bad miss that shakes the entire truck after it warms up, at idle it has a very little miss after being warm to, i've replaced coil, distributor assembly, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and its still happening. any ideas anyone?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I have a 94 350 tbi in my silverado, i had it stored from december to now april. it had a little bit of bad gas but not much ran mint for 2 days now it is sluggish and at about 60 with 1/8th throttle it has a very bad miss that shakes the entire truck after it warms up, at idle it has a very little miss after being warm to, i've replaced coil, distributor assembly, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and its still happening. any ideas anyone?

Sounds like you've got most of the ignition system taken care of...I would check the fuel system to make sure everything there is working properly, pump, filter, regulator, etc

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A quick question I got for you guys.. on both one of my s10s and on my fullsize.. my refrigerant is leaking back out the front of the compressor.. Hard to describe.. I got a pic I will link to and try to describe it to you.. it is leaking between the silver aluminum part and the black area. Anyone know if this is a seal that is bad?? if it can easily be replaced or do i just need a new compressor all together?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=88+s...1&start=57&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:57,i:223