The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big a cam are you going to use? The TBIs don't have a whole lot of room for horsepower unless you do some serious mod work to them. If you're going big-tire, the 700R4 is probably not a wise choice. I just rebuilt mine, but I'm sticking with stock height tires.

Reaction score
444/466 lift summit 1103 35's with 4.56 gears its not my daily driver, been retired from that since 07 when i got my new tacoma. guess i need to track down a th4oo

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as a stupid engine question, but my ign coil is currently mounted to the intake manifold. Is it at all possible to move it to the firewall? I want to move it because I need better routing for my AN fuel lines.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it at all possible to move it to the firewall?
I don't see why not, just make sure your wires are extended (if necessary) with proper connectors. I was even thinking about moving the ICM to the firewall so it doesn't get so hot and fail like they're known to.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
It's not going to go far so i think the wires will fit. I am thinking I will have to use rubber isolators as a vibratory dampener though but it should not be too hard to do. I didn't think about moving the ICM though. would have to make a seal with a passthrough for the pickup wires but outside of that it shouldn't be too hard either. I have no need currently to move the ICM but the coil is just in the way lol.

Oh and while i have the pic that i have up there do you know what the hell this connector is for? It reaches the bracket as shown in the other picture

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and while i have the pic that i have up there do you know what the hell this connector is for? It reaches the bracket as shown in the other picture
On my 88 5.7L that's where the EST module goes. Back towards the fire wall is the MAP sensor, and on the other side of the bracket is the EGR Module.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
yeah mine only has the EGR solenoid on it nothing else. I have that random 4 pin gray oval connector that I have 0 clue what it does

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI So i was able to got my fuel pressure dialed in it is @ 19psi going into the TBI unit now. instead of the 58-60 from the vortec pump. it runs and idles so much better however I am fighting a code 43 have been since I replaced the SES bulb, it stumbles and will occasionally backfire out the TBI. The code is for ESC, knock sensor or worse yet ECM. I am semi new to the TBI 350's as I am use to carb's. I really am getting sick of the TBI setup as a whole. I have noticed that my distributor may be a bit advanced(turned clockwise) as my #1 cyl is almost pointing straight towards the front of my truck and it is suppose to point towards the coil-ish.