The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What aftermarket open element intake will work with the stock TBI, and still allow removal of the choke collar? (without modification)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
On your 89? Any aftermarket parts store open element that uses a 4-5" tall filter will work WITH the pcv collar, without it, you would need a very tall race filter....about a 5-6" filter is about what I'd say. Just measure from the top of tbi to top of stud and subtract 1/4" for wing nut. Also take into consideration how high the base will set the filter up, unless it's a no-rise filter base, then there's no need for that.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea on my 89, my main concern is clearing the FPR and all those items bolted to the intake on the left side (looking at it). I know the collar is to offset the drop filter Chevy decided to use from the cars on a truck with plenty of clearance. I was hoping a non-drop or flat bottom filter base would raise the setup high enough to work without moving anything. I could care less about chrome and will probably paint it satin black anyway.

So you think a 5" filter will clear the top of the TBI? I have a single stud setup already so that is good.

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well you can get the air cleaners in multiple sizes ranging from 6" all the way to 14" diameter, and maybe even bigger. The stock filter for your stock air cleaner is like a 10" filter I think. That bracket that sticks up on the passenger side of intake, I relocated it on my uncle's '94 so it's parallel to top of intake; a 14" diameter air cleaner with a flat base just cleared it.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Not right now, but it's really easy mod, just cut the bracket in half and drill holes that line up with mount holes. When you tighten the bolts down, it'll push plug-in down against the top of the intake. I did put a piece of stick-on black foam on the back side to cushion the plug against the intake and to help keep down vibration noise(plastic vibrating against aluminum can make an annoying sound).

tokestahoe98

Reaction score
i have a 1998 tahoe 2 door 4x4 my motor just passed away yesterday fully siezed. my luck what i want to know is what are my options for motors what can just bolt right on with out changing anything? hmmm 454 ss does sound good. o yea im also going to need a front diff. so if anyone can help me out it would greatly be appriciated..

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so im taking out the TBI 350ci in my 95 suburban and wanting to put in a 400ci, but can i still run the TBI on it or will it need bigger fuel injectors?