The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regy53

Reaction score
silly question

am based in the uk so need to get this right for postage reasons

If i buy some long headers, what downpipe should i use i.e what comes after the headers, do you get something made? or is there something you can buy that just fits, only i cant find it if so.

quick edit, i think this is called a y pipe?

how do i know what one to buy

350 silverado short bed 88

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
silly question

am based in the uk so need to get this right for postage reasons

If i buy some long headers, what downpipe should i use i.e what comes after the headers, do you get something made? or is there something you can buy that just fits, only i cant find it if so.

quick edit, i think this is called a y pipe?

how do i know what one to buy

350 silverado short bed 88

Ordinarily, as in, without header's, you would have a Y pipe afterward, and a single exhaust out from there.

Typically, when upgrading to headers, people have the remainder of the exhaust custom made locally. I'm not aware of any bolt on Y pipes for these trucks with long tubes. Most people would just run a "true dual", a single pipe from each header, on back to two mufflers, and on out to two tail pipes.

If sourcing piping locally is an issue, you can order a "universal dual exhaust kit" from a number of sources, Jeg's, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Summit Racing, etc. If I were you I would call around first, as I bet you can get something done locally though.

regy53

Reaction score
thanks for your reply, are short manifolds the same as std then? sorry im not chasing lots of horses just a big better than std and having a exhaust made is probably easy enough i am hoping for a few bolt on parts as i am going to have to change the engine / rebuild this one

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The short ones flow a little better than stock, but have the advantages of hooking into all the stock exhaust stuff, or having y pipes available to fit them.

LMB1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the post.

What is the diameter of the exhaust going into and out of the cat?