The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
What do i need to swap my 10 bolt six lug with 3.43 gearing to a 14 bolt 6 lug with at least 4.10 gearing?

Last edited:

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
doing a 14bl sf swap, what do i need for a ujoint? anything special or the same my 10 bolt had?

Lotz

Reaction score
Will a 14 bolt rear axle from an early nbs 3/4 ton with disc brakes fit under a 1/2 ton suburban while adding 3/4 ton springs?

maxakabill

Reaction score
Hell ya it should, thats what im planning on doing. Your gonna need something like this in order for it to fit correctly. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130596603750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I havnt taken any measurements yet, but I know for sure you will need to change the shock mount locations on the axle, nbs seem to have a slight angle to them. Youll also need a brake proportioning valve, because disk brakes require less pressure than drums. The rear will end up locking up when you hit the brakes hard causing the tail end of your truck to lose control.

Clutch4190

Reaction score
found a 14b 6 lug to swap out for my 10bolt. stupid question but did 6 lug 14bolts have gearing other than 3.42?

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to get over 50 posts in hopes to be able to post in the wanted thread so I will ask this question.. haha it realy hard to change axle seals? the axle shafts a hard thing to get to pull out of the tubes??

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear guys talk about brake hard lines weakening from the inside, and replacing them with stainless improving the stopping power. Does anybody have any experience with the stainless hard lines, 37 degree flares, and the connections for them?

Is it a logical upgrade or am I putting a race saddle on a plow horse?

I plan on upgrading to the 1 ton calipers, braided hoses , and fluid change when I do the brakes this summer. I had a shop replace about 4' of the rear hard line last summer. It was rusty and split near the hose.

94 Suburban

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
found a 14b 6 lug to swap out for my 10bolt. stupid question but did 6 lug 14bolts have gearing other than 3.42?

I believe they came in 3.73 and 4.10 as well, unless those were all 8-lug. Both of my 14bsf axles have been 3.42.

Will a 14 bolt rear axle from an early nbs 3/4 ton with disc brakes fit under a 1/2 ton suburban while adding 3/4 ton springs?

Stick with OBS parts. If you want disk, swap on a disk conversion.

doing a 14bl sf swap, what do i need for a ujoint? anything special or the same my 10 bolt had?

Depends whats on your truck. My 6.5 required no conversion joint, I was told you need a conversion joint, I believe to 1350

What do i need to swap my 10 bolt six lug with 3.43 gearing to a 14 bolt 6 lug with at least 4.10 gearing?

new u-bolts, maybe a conversion u-joint (see above). I also recommend a lift kit. Partly because you're already in there, and partly because the pinion to axle centerline is longer. If you don't lift the truck when you swap the 14 bolt, MAKE SURE you clean all the rust and crud off of the slip yoke, our you WILL get a transfer case leak. Easy enough to fix, but much easier to prevent.

Last edited:

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My center cap adapters should be here tm.. I am wanting to lnow asap if anyone knows what the bolt size and thread is for the center caps on the truck rallies. There 15x8 rallies.. Not sure if they are 88-98 rallies or earlier rallies.. If anyone can give me any insight on the thread/bolt size i would greatly appreciate it!!