The oil thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Yeah the dual filter kits allow you to use the bigger ford style filters for more capacity. Even the single relocation lets you run a bigger filter.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I just bought mobil 2000 high mileage synthetic blend, it gets really damn cold where i live, as cold as -40 ambient almost -50 with the wind on the worst of days, average is -20, what do you guys think? would a conventional be better? like a castrol? i have a conventional oil that only says shell on it.. dont know if it will cut it though

Synth blend will be fine in your rig. It will pour a little faster in cold temperatures.

Conventional is also fine. The main benefit of synth over conventional is extended drain intervals and better cold temperature performance.

But either conventional or synthetic is fine in your rig. The difference in a high mileage daily driver is minimal.

The weight is selected based on a temperature chart for your rig.

I posted this in your other thread, but I'll post it for you again. Go here: http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/gmc/gmc-sierra-owners-manuals/

Download the 1994 manual and go to page 6-20. The oil charts start there.

I live in Canada like you, I run synthetic but that's because I've had my diesel since new. Synthetic in a high mileage vehicle is very minimal benefit. The life the engine lived before you got it has already determined it's condition. You can run synthetic for better cold weather start up performance, but that's about all it will do for you....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a dual filter relocation kit. I know it's overkill, but I like the idea. More oil capacity would lower the oil temps I think.

No, more oil won't lower temperatures. At best, it will take a little longer to gain it's heat but it will reach the same temperature if it is the 1/2 quart less a regular system is. The other side of that is it will take longer to cool that extra 1/2 quart.

Getting it out of the block longer will facilitate some extra "cooling", but the amount you're talking in an extra filter and lines is essentially inconsequential.

If you want lower oil temperatures, install an oil cooler.

Remote filters are good for remote mounting and that's about it. It is done for easier access.

Two identical filters are also essentially useless. There is no additional filtering since they are both rated to the same micron level. Extra capacity, yes. Better filtering, no. This only matters if you are going for extended drain intervals. You should be doing oil analysis if you are running extended drain intervals so cost savings for the average Joe is near nil.

If you install a dual head that is the "bypass filter" style, there is some benefit as the bypass filter is a finer micron rating.

I run a bypass centrifuge that filters down to 1-2 microns. Better than any filter you will find and simply requires cleaning when "full".

All the above is overkill on a daily driven vehicle (which mine is not). Better off to just use a quality filter and keep your money in the bank...

Last edited:

jrsavoie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Amsoil oil since the early 90's Amsoil, Mobile 1 or Baldwin filters.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the by pass kits, they give you the chance to choose when you change the oil. You dont have to get in a big hurry, you have the extra filtration.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I myself run Mobil Super high mileage 5W30, IIRC its a synthetic blend but I still change it every 3,000 or about 200 miles before its due. I also used to use nothing but AC Delco PF52 filters but recently I've swapped over to Wix, Why skimp on the important stuff, right?

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Ac Delco filter.
5-30 Quaker State.

Why? I pulled the heads off my SS @120kand it looked new inside having run Quaker every day of its' life. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself so more Quaker then.
5-30 because that is what the people that built it say to use. - Ok.

3,000 ish miles. The Vortex will start to miss when it needs changed. Seems like 3500-3700 is all it'll do before it pouts. Uncertain. It misses, I change it. Didn't take long to figure that O2 code is your sign to change the oil....
New PCV every three filters.

Last edited:

wave_crusher

Reaction score
It just happens that I run Mobil 1 full synthetic and Mobil 1 oil filter. I can't say that I really have a preference on oil, I kinda alternate whatever synthetic oil is on sale, usually it's M1. I do, however, prefer the mobil 1 and purolator pureone oil filters. I absolutely hate K&N filters as they don't have anything to grip and you have to use a wrench. That doesn't work so well on any of the vehicles I have.

I do also like valvoline syn blend, but it isn't usually on sale

Last edited: