The oil thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping we could get people, to post up their preffered brand and viscosity of oil, and also your reason behind your choice.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have used a lot of different oil's, and I don't really have a prefference, except that I don't care for regular 10w30 Pennzoil, I am not talking about synthetic though just plain old oil. My reason is everyone I have personally seen use it, seem to have problem's with their engine using more oil like say every 1'000 miles or so than other brands i.e. Castrol etc. I have recommended to some that they change to a different brand and the problem goes away.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use 5w30 high mileage dino oils such as Quaker State or Valvoline with a AC Delco Oil Filter every 3,000-3,600 miles and that combo seems to work very well for me.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is exactly what I am looking for, I see ton's of disjointed thread's on other forum's about this, but not a simple answer to people's question

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have a 99 burb, lowered 4-4 etc., but we bought it from a banker's wife with 77'000 on it, well from that point until approx. 100k, I changed the oil regularly, but at about 100k it started knocking pretty bad from the lower end, well to make a long story short, I replaced the engine shortly after that started, and to my suprise, the sump in the oil pan, the whole lifter valley, and of course under the valve cover's were complete sludge. The oil pump pickup was submerged in the sludge, I am actually suprised it ran as long as it did. I have seen engine's with 250k miles that had regular maintenance that didn't look that bad. The sludge in the sump in the oil pan was thick enough I had to force my thumb in to it, all the way to my hand. Any way I am guessing that she must have just drove it and never changed the oil. I am thinking about switching to full synthetic Mobil 1 on my 6.0 in my crew cab, I have heard lot's of good things about it.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure a few will chime in claiming all dino oils are created equal but
IMO.....Penzo & Castrol 5w30 dino oils evaporates/burns up too quick and it always
seemed like I needed to add a quart just to top off before 3,000 miles so I
stopped buying the 2.

I prefer changing oil & filter @ 3,600 miles so dino oils is the way to go for me.

Last edited:

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I have no brand preference, but I like to use 5W30 full syn. I might switch over to 10W40 full syn for the summer months.

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
i use 5w-30 mobil clean 5000 and a mobil oil filter <- expensive but it keeps the engine from making noise after its sits a few days like the wix and ac delco filters i've used.

oh yeah and a quart of lucas oil stabilizer

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like Mobil and Castrol myself, I usually run Mobil 1 but I've got a feeling if I do with this truck it's going to start leaking like a siv, not that it doesn't already.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 5w30 Quaker State (original green bottle) always used it and it has done me good.

I also use the Fram ToughGuard oil filters.