The oil thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowadays, most quality brand oils will be fine for use. I prefer synthetic (especially with a blower), but a good dino should work well too.

personally I like either Mobil 1 5W30 or Rotella T6 5W40 (which is what I'm running now), both excellent quality oils, and sometimes I've been known to add some molybdenium disulfide to the mix too, but thats a whole different discussion.

as far as filters, I typically go with the mobil 1 filter, but I also like the wix (napa gold) filters as well.

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use the oil the previous owner always used....quaker state high mileage with the slick 50 in it...said he never had a any issues with it....said he had a ford ranger that had
300k on it and a guy bought it from him and was gonna replace the motor from another one he had...said he opened up the engine and was suprised by how clean it was...o and i use wix filters

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nowadays, most quality brand oils will be fine for use. I prefer synthetic (especially with a blower), but a good dino should work well too.

personally I like either Mobil 1 5W30 or Rotella T6 5W40 (which is what I'm running now), both excellent quality oils, and sometimes I've been known to add some molybdenium disulfide to the mix too, but thats a whole different discussion.

as far as filters, I typically go with the mobil 1 filter, but I also like the wix (napa gold) filters as well.

That and Shell gas. It's all I use.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oreilly house brand oil every 5,000 miles with an AC Delco filter. Once in a while I may grab their high mileage stuff. I had been just grabbing 10w30 off the shelf but I decided to go with 5w30 on the last one since they call for that and I've heard that thicker oils just hurt your mileage and they make the oil pump and stuff work harder. I will NEVER use that "oil stabilizer" stuff cause it just looks like junk that makes your oil way too thick! And making it thicker=taking longer for the oil to get to the lifters and stuff.
I'm one of those guys who thinks most all oil is the same. Synthetic is nice, but I see no problems with using conventional and just changing it at good intervals. And I'll prolly run Seafoam in the crankcase for a little bit before every oil change; try to clean it out a bit. Could be a bit dirty after 180,000 miles!

I've just never heard of an engine dying because somebody didn't use a certain brand of oil. Change it regularly and it'll be all right.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to disagree on Fram filters, if you search the internet you will see that they are made rather poorly. i prefer purolator, the mobil 1 oil filters, and I've never personally used a wix filter but I hear nothing but good things about them.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, to add onto my post..I think oils are mostly the same, but filters are completely different. I've seen where they cut the filters open and using a Fram is just like sticking a toilet paper roll on there.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use "the green oil" Brad Penn 10w30 & a K&N oil filter. Lots of zink & phosphorous, good for flat tappet cams. The guys at my work use it in their race cars with no oil related failures, so I fugured why not.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use pennzoil 10w30 with stp and a acdelco or fram filter. It quiets down my 220000 mile truck

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
usually mobil 1 full synthetic and an ac delco pf52 filter. if i feel like spending $50 on an oil change ill go with royal purple. always 5w30.