TH350 QUESTION FOR OLD SCHOOL. about shift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
im curious if there is any way to tell by quick search if the TH350 transmission has a shift kit or not already...
reason asking is i bought a TH350 out of a 70ish camaro from the junkyard that was trying to sell the car before but they lost the title and it ended up in the yard. i was told by a buddy that still works there that the drivetrain was good and only reason it didnt sell was they lost the title to it.
now it had a B&M shifter... crappily welded to the floor! LOL weak enough where i pried it off the floor by hand. and the motor had center bolt valve covers so the heads atleast where replaced or the whole motor upgraded.
so thats what im thinking MAYBE they also did some transmission work as well.
it will be pretty much as a BACKUP transmission for my 66impala since its powerglide does shift odd under heavy load from many years of foolish neutral dropping from my teenage years! :( tho it was fun but still DAM wish i wouldnt have been so ruff on the old girl.
i couldnt pass up the deal for a known good working order transmission that SHOULD bolt right into my impala and replace the powerglide tranny for only $111.27 out the door! and it has a extra gear which im still unsure the difference in feel could be, tho ive been told it wont help on highway cruising which does kinda suck BUT a 400 or 700r would help with overdrive BUT need alot more custom work like mounts and driveshaft to be fabed up. im just not comfortable enough to jump into that project just yet!

i also dont know if i can use the powerglide shift linkage with the th350. does anyone have any posible help on the swap linkage wise? guess ive never really looked at my impalas linkage.
the B&M shifter does have a broken rod for the selector but i can rig something up for that if i have to to use it.
the tranny has writing on the top already that says 77 Mcarlo so i asume it came outta a 77monte carlo its got alot of oil and dirt build up on it but i think that was from a loose cooler line since they moved freely when i dragged it from under the car! fluid from the converter looked clean tho.

You must be registered for see images attach

and heres my old girl.

shes been a PITA BUT im getting her back into POSIBLE daily driving status for when i really tear into my truck so i can take my time and do the job right instead of rushing!
last year i fixed the worst starter issue it was having where it kept breaking starters. new fly wheel and a mini high torque starter fixed that issue that was crippling the impala for about 10years.
now the only two issues are the powerglide shifting problems and the carburetor needs rebuilt i believe. it seems to want to stick at higher idle. not sure if ill wait for my dad to come back up to indy and rebuild it for me OR if ill just say screw it and buy a new one! its been on the car since 97 or 98 when i put the 400motor into it.

Last edited:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
linkage will work, only way to tell if there is a shift kit is to remove the pan and open up the valve body( not worth doing )