Hard shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthonyawh

Reaction score
I have a 1988 K1500 and its had a lot of abuse (use it farming). Anyway Ive been through atleast 4 transmissions now and front transfer case. They work good for awhile then slowly they start shifting into gear really hard and I mean lunge forward about 10 inches hard shift. Is there something the mechanics are missing here or is it that Ive just gotten 4 crappy transmissions? I put lucas in it and it seamed to help alittle if that sheds any light on the issue.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1988 K1500 and its had a lot of abuse (use it farming). Anyway Ive been through atleast 4 transmissions now and front transfer case. They work good for awhile then slowly they start shifting into gear really hard and I mean lunge forward about 10 inches hard shift. Is there something the mechanics are missing here or is it that Ive just gotten 4 crappy transmissions? I put lucas in it and it seamed to help alittle if that sheds any light on the issue.
What shifts are hard (ie the 1-2 shift, 2-3, 3-4) or all of them?

Typically, the 1-2 starts to feel brutal if the 1-2 accumulator spring breaks; this can be exacerbated by excessive band clearance and an overly aggressive 1-2 feed hole in the spacer plate. Same for the 2-3; the 3-4 is a lot harder to get to shift hard regardless of what you do...