Th350 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigd

Reaction score
Ok yall I swapped from 700r4the to long tail th350. Before install I had the th350 rebuilt with Alto reds and sift kit. I purchased a new torque converter. Installed everything. While I had it on the lift I put the truck in gear and it didn't go. So I rev the motor and it went in gear and shifted fine. I didn't think anything about it I figured it was a air bubble in the TC. Well it is still doing it. Sometimes the trans goes in gear without a prob. And then other times I gotta rev the piss outta the motor for it to respond. Anyone have any ideas.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
your fluid level when hot full? i would check that, and valve body but watch where the "check" balls go if you decide to take the valve body off. and would also check the servo and the governer to make sure its not sticking. just ball parking this one but may want to take a look at you front pump seals "o-rings" hopefully you didnt cut one when you installed the front pump. im not to familiar on the shift kits tho.

Bigd

Reaction score
Ok firefighter first off I'm a Wildland firefighter in SE GA. Good to always here from a brother. I didn't build the trans myself I had a guy build it and he put 3yr warranty on it but he's about 2hr away. But when cold in park engine idling trans overfull. When at normal opp temp in park engine idling overfull. I can get in put truck in gear and rev motor to get tranny to engage put back in park check level again and its at the full mark. The TC is from o'relliy auto parts and I ordered it for a 78 vette. I wanted the old vaga TC but it was 100 bucks more.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
have never heard of this before. normally when a trans dont go in gear after a rebuild thats if its done correctly its cuz of not enough fluid. hopefully someone knows. good to hear from you as well:)

Bigd

Reaction score
Yea I hope so also. There was a bushing in the back pf the crank that I took out. The guy helping me with the swap said that it is for manual transmition and if I left it in there it would put pressure on my pump and mess it up. Also someone also asked me if I filled up the TC before I put it in the trans. Well I didn't could this be the problem?

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
the bushing is called pilot bushing, and yes it is for a manual, the input shaft goes it that. and i would get that out. they make a tool to remove them but if you have an old input shaft and a grease gun and a hammer you can get it out. pump the bushing full of grease ans stick the input shaft inside the hole and hit the shaft. just keep filling and hitting and it will eventually come out. may sound crazy but it works. the grease gets in behind the bushing and the impact of the hammer forces the grease out behind th bushing. and as for filling the TC i have never done that. i have always filled the trans with fluid before starting then getting it hot then top it off then o from park-L1 to make sure its going in gear. one thing i would check is your transmissions lines going from the radiator to the trans to see if they are kinked in any way of a split in one. the lines are under pressure due to the front pump. hopefully them few things will work. just for future references, if a vehicle wont pull itself like on a incline or about a 3 inch build up, normally its in the TC. to check that is take your TC out with the splines up and reach your finger inside and you should be able to turn the clutch as i call it ONE way. if it turns both ways the TC is bad. the clutch is a ONE-WAY clutch. that means if its turning both ways the TC is working against itself and wont supply any torque

Last edited: