Tech: Every possible dash switch for GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah they burn out frequently. The "cargo light" the text is lit up.

Sent from TBI 454 HTC Droid DNA

Took apart my cargo switch... which makes me want to buy more cause this plastic is scaring me. Know any write ups about retrofitting these things? Looks like a 3mm LED will fit nicely, but I don't wanna break plastic while attempting to get at the old bulb.

EDIT: Or a 1.8mm LED, whose existence I just became aware of.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought the mounting plate from the dealership. IIRC around $10.00

Last edited:

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
The switches are pretty easy to take apart. First insert two small screwdrivers under the side tabs, then using a pair of needle-nose pliers, pull the lower half of the switch apart. Be careful not to loose the contact plate inside as you pull it apart. Remove to old burned out incandescent bulb. Bend a 3mm LED, in your choice of color, to fit in the lamp holder along with the proper resistor. The picture shows the whole procedure. I hope this is helpful.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Bought the mounting plate from the dealership. IIRC around $10.00

When, where, and how? Cause I'd warm up my truck right now if I can go to our GM dealership and ask for a 95-00 truck part. Let alone one that (I don't think) 88GMCtruck doesn't have...

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The switches are pretty easy to take apart. First insert two small screwdrivers under the side tabs, then using a pair of needle-nose pliers, pull the lower half of the switch apart. Be careful not to loose the contact plate inside as you pull it apart. Remove to old burned out incandescent bulb. Bend a 3mm LED, in your choice of color, to fit in the lamp holder along with the proper resistor. The picture shows the whole procedure. I hope this is helpful.
I found it to be a tad bit more tedious than that, but then again I was doing it late at night and was pretty tired. Its easy to figure out if you take the time to look at it though. I'm certain anyone who wants to retrofit LEDs in their switches will appreciate that post. Nice to know a 3mm will fit for sure in it too! Thanks!

That color that you put in it, I think is the same color I'm gonna replace mine with. Teal/green 505nm LED?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When, where, and how? Cause I'd warm up my truck right now if I can go to our GM dealership and ask for a 95-00 truck part. Let alone one that (I don't think) 88GMCtruck doesn't have...

Well warm it up then. Drive on down an go in with the last 8 digits of your Vin. They might surprise you....

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well warm it up then. Drive on down an go in with the last 8 digits of your Vin. They might surprise you....
:jawdrop:

:hmm: what are the odds they could surprise me with some OEM dash switches to go along...

EDIT: not open tomorrow and closed five minutes ago. Emailing them a parts order right meow...

Last edited:

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Ha well if they have a fog switch let me know I'll take 2.
went to my dealer where my brother cousin and close friend work. the friend is second in command in the parts department. looked up a few dash switches and they all came up as no longer available. couldn't even order them :(
so if you find some somewhere soak them up and redistribute them here haha. thats what I would do.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't heard d*ck from the dealerships and I reckon I won't for quite some time. Went to a pick-n-pull with a buddy today and pulled seven cargo switches and one ESOF switch.

Got the ESOF switch pulled apart... and I'm definitely gonna retrofit it. Anyone know how to replace the backlight bulbs and get LED's in em? It'll be easy as hell to replace the indicator lights... they're already LEDs and all I gots to do is desolder them and their resistors and replace em with the ones I want. Gonna be a nice time killer! EDIT: @88GMCtruck, do you have a diagram of the pigtail for an ESOF? soldering up backlight leds and i just realized i don't know which pin is the actual positive and negative. you had a pigtail diagram of the cargo switch so i figure you might have one for this spare 4x4 switch.

Oh, btw. Found the closest thing to a fog light switch as I could. Half of one. I was madder than hell. All that was there was the half of the switch the pigtail plugs into, the other half must still be with the dash or is broken apart underneath all the snow. Damn was I furious. And one 99 yukon denali had the pigtail for one, no retainer and no switch. But if I find a fog light switch, I'll find a pigtail so no point in taking one without the other.

EDIT: That Yukon Denali had the fog switch removed and hidden on the dash under some wood grain door panels... keep looking on this thread to see them.

Last edited: