TBI to Carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Alright, I know I'm gonna catch flak for this but at this point I'm at my wits end.

My truck came from it's previous owner with a strange wiring harness. Lots of sketchy clamps, some frays, etc. I recently took it out to repair some spots and redo some connectors. Took plenty of pics, reinstalled everything and now the truck refuses to crank. Power accessories all come on, but as soon as I turn the key to start it, nothing.

I took the starter out and bench tested it. It worked with no problems.

Checked all my grounds and ground straps. Everything is in good condition.

I have zero idea what would cause this to happen, but I'm about ready to just carb swap it and slim down this franken-harness. Is it worth it?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Scratch this, I figured it out. Out of all the pictures, the injector pigtails weren't included in the picture. Turns out I had the pigtails swapped on the injector. Swapped them and it started right up. TBI is strange, but it runs again!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
You're right, I should've specified.

I discovered the no crank issue was related to the main harness. It was ever so slightly loose so it wouldn't crank. I ended up running the middle bolt in as far as I could get it to go without it feeling stripped, then I got it to crank. The "no start" was related to my pigtails being swapped from what I can tell, I discovered it after I found a sleu of possible options online about sensors so I took off one of the pigtails to the injectors and it ran rough. Put it back on, no start. Swapped them, ran beautifully.

It's been a long, frustrating 48 hours but I think I finally ironed out the previous owner's franken-harness issues. One day when life isn't so crazy, I'll take it out and completely rebuild it. I just needed to get it running in the meantime.