TBI to Carb wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i know this has been about a ton of these posts, but i can't find anything directly related to what I need to find out. So the engine harness in my truck unfortunatley was gutted before I bought it. So instead of having a computer controlled tbi in the truck again, I'm going to carb it. I know I need a carb, intake manifold for carb, fuel pressure regulator, HEI distributor, and most likely a tv bracket (700r4, Holley has some where it connects right on). My question is do I need anything coming from the ecu i.e. any bits of a engine wiring harness ? EGR IS not an issue, and am I forgetting anything else ? Truck a 1991 k1500, i have a 350 sbc that has tbi heads and a tbi on it already. Thanks in advance

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No nothing from the passenger side harness is needed. You could also use a mechanical fuel pump instead of the electric one. And save the need for a pressure regulator.
I think there's wiring issues when you remove the computer. But I am sure someone here can tell you what to do.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No nothing from the passenger side harness is needed. You could also use a mechanical fuel pump instead of the electric one. And save the need for a pressure regulator.
I think there's wiring issues when you remove the computer. But I am sure someone here can tell you what to do.
Yea thanks man, I was mostly worried about the passenger side harness where everything runs to the ecu

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah all your engine wires and gauges come from the drivers side.
on my truck there was a ground wire (black with white chaser) and a bigger power wire.
they come from under the dash through the ecu harness. I cut them out and rehooked them.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah all your engine wires and gauges come from the drivers side.
on my truck there was a ground wire (black with white chaser) and a bigger power wire.
they come from under the dash through the ecu harness. I cut them out and rehooked them.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
I'm still working on "thinning" my engine harness. you are going to need to run wires for your gauges, starter, and distributor. and that is about it. Unless you have ac then you will need to run two more wires. I would recommend
picking up a repair manual so you have the wiring info for where things go.
you could also just go to a yard and pick up a harness so you have something to go off of.

Also not sure if the factory speedo will work without the ecm.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Run a return style FPR, it'll save you from your mechanical fuel pump getting flooded with gas. Personally, I'd get adapters for the TBI fuel lines, bolt them into a return style FPR and run the outlet to the carb. But that's just my opinion. Multiple ways to skin a fence.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still working on "thinning" my engine harness. you are going to need to run wires for your gauges, starter, and distributor. and that is about it. Unless you have ac then you will need to run two more wires. I would recommend
picking up a repair manual so you have the wiring info for where things go.
you could also just go to a yard and pick up a harness so you have something to go off of.

Also not sure if the factory speedo will work without the ecm.
Can the wires be standalone and where do I run them to ? Not a big wiring guy

chebbyfan

Reaction score
If you remove the computer and everything from the passenger side to run a carb, what controls the 700r4 converter lock up?