TBI 454, no guts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new TBI chip for my 95 K3500, fixed my idle problems, I finally got to drive the truck and I found that..over about 2000 rpms, it has 0 balls to speak of.

If i floor it, it spins to 4500 with the quickness....

If I go into 2nd at 15mph and go to about 75% throttle (before kickdown), it pulls to near 2000 and just..fumbles around....

TPS tested good, tank full of fresh fuel...

Im thinking..bad FPR or MAP sensor....

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harris Performance, tbichips.com. Its a stock copy of a BMHM prom...no mods or anything, just a new chip.

My problem previously, was it idled really high and I really couldnt drive it because it was always trying to GO...and putting it into gear was..painful.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
new Filter, and fpr today...no change.

I put the stock BMHM chip back in, voila...makes a smooth full pull to the redline in 2nd gear....just once again, idles at 1000, which wont work for me. I think TBIchips sent me a lemon...

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brian is pretty good about making good on what he sells. Give him a call and discuss your issue. He did 3 or 4 TBI 454 chips before it was 100%. I either had great performance and very poor mileage (6 mpg or less around town), or the truck didn't run all that well and got 10mpg around town (acceptable). On the final chip I got great performance and acceptable mileage.

BTW it was a cammed 454 with headers and intake in a dually.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a call and email into him..havent heard back yet.

At a tuning forum, his track record is really really poor...in some cases dragging on over months and months, often, people have given up and sought help elsewhere. Wish id done more research before I dropped 108 bucks on a chip from him....

Massey

Reaction score
IT sounds like the timing curve is not right for your engine. I am curious as to what the advance is on the new chip. As said above I would check with the chip guy.

Massey

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian got back with me this morning, he said the chips should be the same tune off idle, but to ship it back, and he will reprogram it and try again.

at Gearheadefi, they said it sounds like he burned a V8 tune onto a V6 memcal...

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian sent another memcal with the CAJR tune on it, and Voila...idles at 800 in park, and pulls good to the redline.

TBIchips took care of their mistake, good in my book.