Tailgate headaches.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deeno11

Reaction score
Hey all. Went to open the tailgate on my 97 k1500 last week and got a loud "snap" left rod and anchor to the handle fell out,(have the rod) BUT, now I can't get the damn thing open! I've spent hours screwing with it and for the life of me cannot get the tail gate to open on the truck. I tried everything, using a pry bar to try to reach the locking mechanism where it meets the body of the truck. Nothing. I'm frustrated, as I use this truck to pull a landscaping trailer and have been having to shovel everything I dump in it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I knew but do not .I know some of these cats have had the problem. One way to find it on here is to do a google search on tailgate gmt400.com and most references to tailgate issues will show up. I'm sure there is a way of getting it unlatched but it might involve butchering the tailgate and finding another one at a yard. Good luck !

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I was just looking at mine, and the gap on each side is wide enough that you maybe could fish a long small bladed screw driver down from the top and pop the latch on that side, I can see the latches on both sides of mine, coming in straight from the back will not do it with the plates that cover the latches. Look down from the top of the gaps down and you can see them, I have like a 12 inch long small craftsman screwdriver that looks like it would reach the latch to pop it... I did not try because if I was to scratch my paint I would not be happy with myself, but it looks like you can get to them.
If it works it is going to take a long thin shafted screwdriver

Deeno11

Reaction score
Tried :/ problem is as you said you need a long thin screw driver, and u tried that but ending up bending it. May need to use the sledge hammer and order a new one or find one at the junkyard.
I was just looking at mine, and the gap on each side is wide enough that you maybe could fish a long small bladed screw driver down from the top and pop the latch on that side, I can see the latches on both sides of mine, coming in straight from the back will not do it with the plates that cover the latches. Look down from the top of the gaps down and you can see them, I have like a 12 inch long small craftsman screwdriver that looks like it would reach the latch to pop it... I did not try because if I was to scratch my paint I would not be happy with myself, but it looks like you can get to them.
If it works it is going to take a long thin shafted screwdriver