Switches or Other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posted in stupid questions, but will also throw out as a new thread... Headlights switched to on, nothing. No parking, tail, or dash lights. Daytime running lights still on. Smack top of dashboard with both hands open palmed, and bingo. Switch problem, or other? Additionally, windshield wipers run with a mind of their own when turned on, and sometimes don't turn off until truck is turned off. Wiper/cruise arm replacement, or other? Thanks for the help!

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First the lights - the switch is bad Happens all the time, when replacing it make sure to take youre time and get all the screws out(they are very small I think there is 3 or four cant remember.
Second- you are on the right track Wiper motor goes crazy right before it takes a sh** , on that note dont let it fool you when it works great for a little bit, I did and ended up driving home from Tahoe in a rain and snow storm with only Hand powered wipers - The kids thought it was so funny watching dad wipe the window with my arm at 50MPH. lol Good times

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First the lights - the switch is bad Happens all the time, when replacing it make sure to take youre time and get all the screws out(they are very small I think there is 3 or four cant remember.
Second- you are on the right track Wiper motor goes crazy right before it takes a sh** , on that note dont let it fool you when it works great for a little bit, I did and ended up driving home from Tahoe in a rain and snow storm with only Hand powered wipers - The kids thought it was so funny watching dad wipe the window with my arm at 50MPH. lol Good times

X2 Your right on the money.
Your headlight switch is failing, thats why when you hit the top of the dash it'll sometimes work. Buy a new switch, IIRC they are about $15 bucks at napa. As for your Windshield wipers, the motor is on it's way out. The circut board within the motor assy. is usually the culprit and can be replaced without replacing the whole motor assy. Replacing the windshield wiper motor assy is fairly easy; Remove plastic cowl, loosen the linkage that attaches to the motor, unscrew the bolts that fasten the motor to the firewall and ungplug the electrical connector, then simply repeat those steps in reverse and your done. It's about an hour job, so it's an easy fix!

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks like one simple (and not very painfull $$) trip to the parts store and youll have a bunch of operational features.... I agree with 93 1500 and mean green... light switches in gmt400s are finicky. and I think weve all have the wiper problem. If your handy with a soldering pencil you can fix the wiper problem for close to free. I searched the link but couldnt find it, heres your part though
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...ing=search&itemIdentifier=484045_56323_13423_

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. DIY! As my vehicle has gotten older, I've been doing more R&M myself. This helps out quite a bit...

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on my 95 my headlights would not work and my turn signals would turn on when i hit my brake. but my hazard switch was broke so o pushed it down until my turn signals stooped flashing when hit my brakes and i put a screw in it to keep it from moving until i can get a new steering column. worked for me