swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
larger bore just requires more fluid, have better brakes by swapping to a bigger bore master than you would just changing calipers, you still only have the 1/2 ton rotor size that have less surface area for stopping vs the bigger 9.25 ifs front rotors

This is incorrect. Larger caliper pistons create more clamping force. And larger piston master cylinders create less pressure given a constant input force. It's all about PSI.

Think of it this way using simple numbers: If you put 100lbs of force on the pedal (at 5:1 ratio) with a master cylinder that has 1 square inch of area, you have 500psi in the brake line. Let's say the front caliper has 5 square inches of area. Now you have 2500psi of pressure at the caliper squeezing the rotor. Now let's say the master cylinder has 2 sq in of area...you're cutting your pressure in half because that 500lbs of pressure is spread over 2 sq in.

Surface area basically only matters for pad & rotor life. Brake torque comes from the pressure being applied by the caliper, and the leverage in relation to the wheel center. For example, a 12" rotor has 20% more leverage than a 10" rotor because the caliper is 6" from the center rather than 5".

So in actuality, bigger calipers and a smaller master cylinder will create more brake torque. However, this hydraulic advantage comes at the cost of a longer pedal travel.

Hydroboost is a good way to increase pressure without increasing pedal. I did it on my truck last year and I love it. I also have 1 ton calipers.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how different are the GMT400 and GMT800 knuckles, i plan on running 35x12.50R18s(at the smallest) on my 88 and I dont trust the stock brakes with my 31s. I was think about seeing if the 05+ 1/2 front disks would swap over. I might need to go put the bracket and rotor off my dads truck now.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
This is incorrect. Larger caliper pistons create more clamping force. And larger piston master cylinders create less pressure given a constant input force. It's all about PSI.

Think of it this way using simple numbers: If you put 100lbs of force on the pedal (at 5:1 ratio) with a master cylinder that has 1 square inch of area, you have 500psi in the brake line. Let's say the front caliper has 5 square inches of area. Now you have 2500psi of pressure at the caliper squeezing the rotor. Now let's say the master cylinder has 2 sq in of area...you're cutting your pressure in half because that 500lbs of pressure is spread over 2 sq in.

Surface area basically only matters for pad & rotor life. Brake torque comes from the pressure being applied by the caliper, and the leverage in relation to the wheel center. For example, a 12" rotor has 20% more leverage than a 10" rotor because the caliper is 6" from the center rather than 5".

So in actuality, bigger calipers and a smaller master cylinder will create more brake torque. However, this hydraulic advantage comes at the cost of a longer pedal travel.

Hydroboost is a good way to increase pressure without increasing pedal. I did it on my truck last year and I love it. I also have 1 ton calipers.

The truck I want to do this to already has hydraboost (diesel 1500) so I guess im getting new 1 ton calipers soon.