Swap to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So obviously you can make more power with a carb than with a tbi unit. but how hard is the swap. ive never dealt with carb anything before.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
go to the engines section and look up carbs, there are many of the same question that will get your answers depending on year of your truck and your plans for it

Last edited:

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carb swaps are easy. Ditch the tbi, intake, and distributor. Put on a carb/intake, and HEI type distributor. Mount a return style, carb friendly, fuel pressure regulator. Wire up power to the coil and tach, and viola, you're done. More or less anyway......lol

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Carb swaps are easy. Ditch the tbi, intake, and distributor. Put on a carb/intake, and HEI type distributor. Mount a return style, carb friendly, fuel pressure regulator. Wire up power to the coil and tach, and viola, you're done. More or less anyway......lol

i thought if he wanted to keep the stock intake he could as long as he had an adapter plate? ...that and your gonna wanna zippy tie alot of wires...dont cut them like i did...granted Its a cleaner look and i knew what I was doing but never a good idea to hack

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok but what if one wanted to do it when your truck has a 4L60e Trans is it worth the headache and here we have to pass emission test??

I have a good set of Vortec heads but im debating.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
idk, with mine all i did was buy a new plate for the trans kickdown and throttle and had to alter it a little...so idk

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the 4l60e you need a tps sensor for your transmission to shift correctly. If I was doing the carb swap I would get a Holley carb and Holley's tps kit

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok but what if one wanted to do it when your truck has a 4L60e Trans is it worth the headache and here we have to pass emission test??

I have a good set of Vortec heads but im debating.

My truck has a 4L60e too. As long as your vss is working properly, you connect the tach wire from your harness to the tach lead on the HEI style distributor, and you have a working tps and coolant sensor, your 4L40e should run/drive/shift just fine.

Last edited:

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the 4l60e you need a tps sensor for your transmission to shift correctly. If I was doing the carb swap I would get a Holley carb and Holley's tps kit

The Holley tps kit is a waste of money imo. I mounted my tps directly to the primary throttle shaft on my carb.

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought if he wanted to keep the stock intake he could as long as he had an adapter plate? ...that and your gonna wanna zippy tie alot of wires...dont cut them like i did...granted Its a cleaner look and i knew what I was doing but never a good idea to hack

I weeded out all the useless crap out of my underhood harness too. I unwrapped the harness, and cut out everything that doesn't serve a purpose anymore. It's way cleaner looking now.