Swap time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Picked up 853 (aka 241) heads today. 80 bucks with 20K on em, complete.

Where did you get your harness from?? I want to do this swap in my 89 c2500.

Picked it up from a guy on LS1Tech. I believe hes gotta be running a scrap operation for as cheap and as many as he sells. SN is fanta141

Last edited:

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok Its a stocker not modded to fit. Ok I was gonna say the cheapest one I found with a 4 wire hook up was 450 on ebay.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Ok Its a stocker not modded to fit. Ok I was gonna say the cheapest one I found with a 4 wire hook up was 450 on ebay.

Waste of money. go on LT1swap.com, it gives you the complete wiring diagram, and tells you which wires you need to do what with. Realistically, NOTHING will be a true 4 wire hookup. I'm not 100% solid on the truck-side wiring yet, but at minimum I will need to hook up:

Constant power (multiple leads)
Switched ignition
Start
Ground
VSS
Oil Pressure
Cruise control (this is still a question mark for me)
AC connections (if you're using it, I am not)

But still, after I get the harness stripped down to what I actually need (elimininating rear O2s, extraneous crap I'm not using, etc) That $450+ will have been earned back in probably 4-5 hours.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Waste of money. go on LT1swap.com, it gives you the complete wiring diagram, and tells you which wires you need to do what with. Realistically, NOTHING will be a true 4 wire hookup. I'm not 100% solid on the truck-side wiring yet, but at minimum I will need to hook up:

Constant power (multiple leads)
Switched ignition
Start
Ground
VSS
Oil Pressure
Cruise control (this is still a question mark for me)
AC connections (if you're using it, I am not)

But still, after I get the harness stripped down to what I actually need (elimininating rear O2s, extraneous crap I'm not using, etc) That $450+ will have been earned back in probably 4-5 hours.

True gotta save $ where ya can with these swaps. Im searching on how I can reuse my stock speedo in my 89. I read something about how mine reads 2000 PPM's and the new vss will read at 4000 PPM's. I want to get the wiring sorted out before I start tearing it apart. So I will be watching your thread closely lol.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
True gotta save $ where ya can with these swaps. Im searching on how I can reuse my stock speedo in my 89. I read something about how mine reads 2000 PPM's and the new vss will read at 4000 PPM's. I want to get the wiring sorted out before I start tearing it apart. So I will be watching your thread closely lol.

The truck-side wiring is the only thing I'm not solid on and I've put HOURS of looking into it in, so I will be documenting that extensively. But I believe that GM has been using the same 40 count reluctor for quite a while... don't know the exact start year but when I was doing the research back when I was looking for an OOBS K5 and I believe it was somewhere around then.