Swap time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Well, I'm now convinced that my trans is on its way out. I've been contemplating a 4.8/5.3 swap for a while and I figure this is probably my chance. So there are 2 ways I can go...

1) Put together a budget setup, run MSD ignition and a carb, and figure out how to get the stock ECU to control the trans, and either swap in a fresh one, or rebuild this one while its blown apart

2) swap in a complete 2000+ engine and trans with ECU, etc. Unlocking the ECU is no problem, I already have HPTuners and 2 credits waiting.

Budget is a concern as I've got a kid on the way, I think the complete option 2 package would cost me about 3 grand and I don't know that I'm prepared to go there. If the truck makes it til tax time next year I could probably swing that, but I would call that questionable at this point. However, adding up all the crap I'd have to buy to make option 1 into a runner, I'm not sure how much cheaper it would end up being.

So... I open it for your thoughts.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its going to be your daily I would go with option 2. That would be a much more reliable setup.

I would actually go option 2 anyway since going to carb would be a step back IMO and I don't think you would save very much money.

If your not set in stone on an LS setup, brand new stock GM crates are around 2k...

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
doing research today, i just found a full DIY for harness modification. I'm all in, full electronic control it is. I think I may be able to get a harness and ECU for $150... which would be fantastic. I can use my HPTuners to remove the anti theft (and tune the shift points etc while I'm at it... haha)

Anyone have a line on a cheap 5.3l with all the accessories, and/or a lower mileage 97+ 4l60e?

Last edited:

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
If your not set in stone on an LS setup, brand new stock GM crates are around 2k...

LS swap is cheaper. Harness and ECU are en route, and I just located a 2500 stall for cheap. Next to find item is a ZO6 cam. Trying to stage it for a turbo setup down the road, but not sacrifice a whole lot if that doesn't happen.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Corvette servo ordered, I believe I've sourced a 4l60e, as well as possibly a small stall. Still need to track down a ZO6 cam, and a complete 5.3l for that matter.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
slight change in plans. I sourced a LS1 rotating assembly, and am picking up LS1 heads tomorrow. I will most likely be building a poor man's LS1.. unless I get a block thats in such good shape I can't justify blowing it apart. If I do, I'll just hold onto the parts to build another engine for it. LOL

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
valves got into the pistons on 4 of the cylenders, so I'm not sure if I can use those, but for what I paid even if I need new pistons I'm happy.