SUV rear speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i picked up a 99 2dr tahoe and its got the usual unusual 4x10 speakers in the roof at the rear. Well i was wondering how hard, if possible, it would be to change them out for some 6x9s. my reason is there are alot more options for 6x9s than there are for 4x10s. and you can get them at higher wattage and run them off of an amp. i already have a 400 watt treble style amp just need some decent speakers to go with it.

im a big fan of alpine if yall have any recommendations for this area and others.

thanks for yalls help cant wait to here back.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shouldn't be hard at all. Looked like there was plenty of room to just grind out the mounting holes when I installed mine. Just measure it out, tarp the interior with something flame/spark resistant and take a grinder to it. IMHO the 4x10s aren't that terrible, though. The Kicker KS410s I have sound decent and aren't overpowering, plus I didn't have to modify anything to get them to fit. They'll take 40w RMS from an amp, and honestly the real power should be directed at your front stage. So in conclusion, yes, it's easy to do... I wouldn't really recommend it though.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I guess I really just need to figure out what's made in 4x10. And go from there. I've just heard 6x9s thump and give off great sound.

Sent from my GALAXY S5 wrapped in an otterbox

chipmaker

Reaction score
I have these coming Monday. Just looking for rear fill... Kenwood KFC-415C.

chipmaker

Reaction score
5 1/4 - 6 3/4 components in front door. Check Crutchfield for exact sizing...

carluvr

Reaction score
I have a '99 Denali that has the Bose system. It has 3.5" speakers mounted on plates in the rear headliner.

Ckeene

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered some Kenwood 4x10 from crutchfield the other week. Factory hole was a bit small for the Kenwoods but I just screwed them in and went on my way.

TBaganATX

Reaction score
I took a piece of MDF, cut out an opening and mounted a flat bracket towards my hatch, and installed my hertz 6x9's. Much better sound.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You really just want the rears for fill anyway. The front stage is where you want to do your biggest upgrades.

You can get some bass out of a 6x9, but it'll never touch a dedicated sub, even just one little 8" or a 10" like I have under my back seat.