Suspension backward compatibility( how to doa 6 lug swap)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I know little to nothing about towing. What is the tow rating for a 1500?8k# seems like a lot. My 88 didn't like pulling a 4k pound car. Just curious

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
4wd and 2wd axles are 3 inches different in width. You need a light duty C2500 2wd axle (14 bolt semi float) and matching front rotors.
Better stance that way imo
Are the 6 lugs the same bolt pattern as long as they are 6 bolt? Also What years did the lug setup come on?

I have alot more questions but I dont want to be that dumb guy askinmg questions because I know its annoying.. I'm new to this platform but I've been doing the car thing for awhile. I inherited this 1995 ECSB C1500 when my father passed and it needs ALOT so I'm slowly going through it.

Is there a good FAQ about these trucks that I should read through to learn alot of the answers to the "dumb" questions I'm asking?
Go ahead and ask man everyone has to start somwhere and as long as it's a chevy 6 bolt it's the same
I was thinking of using one out of a 08+ 1500 w/max tow package

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Why?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out here. C2500 rotors and rear axle, nbs master cylinder, ditch the abs and 8 lug spec calipers. The rotors for the 6 lug, axle for strength, 6 lug and the bigger rear drums. Nbs master for the better pedal feel. The abs on any 400 truly blows. The 8 lug calipers have a better clamping force than the smaller ones. I agree completely that 8000 pounds is more than you should be towing but I'm happy that your more concerned about stopping than going.

espacef1fan

Reaction score
Here is my thought.
Suspension is easy to upgrade to handle the weight. I figure all new bushings with self leveling airbags outback. I will be running Bilstein shocks on all four corners. I'm hoping to find some like I have on my wanna be rally car..46mm piston.

Brakes. So I'm understanding I can use a gmt400 2500 6 lug rotor on my stock spindle and that a (gmt400?) 8 bolt caliper bolts to the stock spindle as well?
The rear brakes would come with the 14bolt out f the 08+ truck unless the GMT400 14bolts have disc brakes.

If thats the case does the 14 bolt have the abs sensor provision for the stock abs system? How about the front rotors?

As for the master it looks as that I can use any dual master cylinder(within reason ...) I want and it SHOULD work with the stock ABS module

The other question I have is if the stock ABS is standalone from the powertrain stuff? i.e. can I do a 5.3 swap and retain it.

The truck I got the engine and trans from claims that 9500lbs is possible in that truck. Of course I will buy a trans cooler/oil cooler..etc. I'm NO stranger to cooling upgrades and why its done..I've been building turbo cars since I was 16...LOL

Unless the gmt400 1500 has a weaker frame than the 2500 I dont see why my truck cant handle towing 8000-9000lbs

espacef1fan

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on my plan. I am not new to cars..but I am new to trucks. I know I may have sounded kind of set in my ways in my last post, but its really just a thought out plan that SEEMS good to me. Any opinions on my setup plan?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You can change all sorts of things but the fact is that your legal towing capacity as recognized by the DOT and the fuzz is still only going to be as good as it was when it rolled off the factory floor.

If you want to tow heavy the best way is to start with a truck that is equipped from the factory to do it. While I might sound like I am raining on your parade it is really the best way.

espacef1fan

Reaction score
While I agree with you the fact remains I cant get rid of this truck and I cant own two at the same time. So this is the path I am on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2