Suburban NV4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is your truck, that'll play into the ease of the clutch pedal installation a lot.

If it's a '95 and newer, it just bolts right in, but if it's older, it'll be more work.
You seem to be the only guy here Or anywhere who has done 95-99 suburban stick shift swap ‘
So , I am doing this swap 100% on my 99 5.7 suburban with a failing 4l60e . I do not drive the truck hard and it’s just a lowered weekend driver.. I was going to source a 2WD nv4500 , but they’re scarce costly and hard to find in a 2WD .
Do you have a write up or reference to which year donor NV3500s work best or would be suited for a nbs suburban if any one year span is recommended ? Even the s10 nv3500 are hard to find if they was even a weaker version in comparison to the c1500 version
I have questions like Does the 4l60 original drive shaft work with the swap? Same trans cross member or do I need a 96-97 pickup donor crossmember ?
I can do the physical swap easily mount the clutch reservoir/ lines / swap the clutch over etc . Mostly just need to know how it works and what to source from and what issue if any present with doing this in a 95-99 suburban

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've swapped a nv3500 into a NBS suburban, I know the 3500 gets crap for being weak but have had no issues for 20k miles.

I never clutch dump it but I will lay into it once it's in gear, and also I went with the 3500 cause it's a much better trans for a driver VS the 4500

I dig the swap, just do what you like, you the one enjoying it
What would be the best year and model to source a nv3500 to swap into my 99 OBS suburban?
I frequent the yards a lot and tool
Through OBS parts trucks but never see the 96-97 stick shifts in the parts yards .
I’m 1000% doing this swap and need to gain some valuable info on what to expect what crosses over ? Factory drive shaft ? Will I need too lengthen ? Shorten ? Or use a donor drive shaft maybe a long bed 2500 OBS drive shaft for instance you get my point ? This is all going behind a 5.7 vortec
Just mostly looking to know what to lean towards as far as Year for the best compatible donor parts . V6 nv3500 v8 nv3500 stay with one from a OBS c1500? Use a 98+ s10 nv3500 ?
Clutch pedal works best ?
Thanks in advance

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You seem to be the only guy here Or anywhere who has done 95-99 suburban stick shift swap ‘
So , I am doing this swap 100% on my 99 5.7 suburban with a failing 4l60e . I do not drive the truck hard and it’s just a lowered weekend driver.. I was going to source a 2WD nv4500 , but they’re scarce costly and hard to find in a 2WD .
Do you have a write up or reference to which year donor NV3500s work best or would be suited for a nbs suburban if any one year span is recommended ? Even the s10 nv3500 are hard to find if they was even a weaker version in comparison to the c1500 version
I have questions like Does the 4l60 original drive shaft work with the swap? Same trans cross member or do I need a 96-97 pickup donor crossmember ?
I can do the physical swap easily mount the clutch reservoir/ lines / swap the clutch over etc . Mostly just need to know how it works and what to source from and what issue if any present with doing this in a 95-99 suburban
So, I got lucky and picked up my trans, Tcase, and pedal from another '98 K1500 (pickup) and it was nearly bolt up.

The Nv3500 (of all years) is the exact same length and dimensions as any 4l60e/th700r4. That means that the crossmember/driveshaft are the same.

If you're going with an Nv4500, you probably will need to move the crossmember and get a different driveshaft (or have yours rebuilt).

When it comes to the clutch parts, I just ordered an all new clutch, flywheel, pilot bushing, throwout bearing, and master cylinder off Rock Auto (under '98 K1500 pickup with a 5spd).

From start to finish, the swap took me a weekend (with the original trans already pulled).

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I got lucky and picked up my trans, Tcase, and pedal from another '98 K1500 (pickup) and it was nearly bolt up.

The Nv3500 (of all years) is the exact same length and dimensions as any 4l60e/th700r4. That means that the crossmember/driveshaft are the same.

If you're going with an Nv4500, you probably will need to move the crossmember and get a different driveshaft (or have yours rebuilt).

When it comes to the clutch parts, I just ordered an all new clutch, flywheel, pilot bushing, throwout bearing, and master cylinder off Rock Auto (under '98 K1500 pickup with a 5spd).

From start to finish, the swap took me a weekend (with the original trans already pulled).

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
Appreciate your input I’m keeping this an option definitely, I have a multitude of wonders about this I’m sure you understand! What works what to source from etc.. I’m dealing with a 2WD though mated to a 5.7
So thats where it got weird . Most of the successful swaps I see are k1500 and also truck Not a OBS suburban .
I just wanted to def know about the reliability of a 3500 behind a big ass suburban body vs a pickup truck as well as them drive shaft lengths etc .. and where the best years to source the trans from

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does this swap seem to move a long with driving / speeds or gearing what would I notice between the 3500/4500 choice ? And how does the 4500 generally respond in acceleration in a suburban . My suburban is just a lowered weekend driver exceptionally clean so I don’t intend on making it a hot rod , but I would like to tow with it if need be nothing outrageous. The issue I found is the dam 4500s are pricey and hard find in a 2WD. I don’t really know what they came in which trucks and years had them with the internal slave design ? That’s important for me to know for sourcing one and saving time
My uncle has a nv4500 in his 96 ram 12valve he swears by it .
I was either gonna rebuild my 4l60e to the max or do this manual swap / I think it would be cool, but I want it to hold up. I had issues with my nv3500 in my 2002 s10
Some say they hold well that’s why they were put in some v8 trucks and some say you gotta baby them and I hear they’re in line with a non world class t5 durability. ((Weak))

If I went with a 4500 in a suburban I just needed to know if at all any specific year make to pull one from to make the swap plug and play or simpler .

I’ll probably do 3500 tho if you suggest that one would hold up in a suburban

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be the best year and model to source a nv3500 to swap into my 99 OBS suburban?
I frequent the yards a lot and tool
Through OBS parts trucks but never see the 96-97 stick shifts in the parts yards .
I’m 1000% doing this swap and need to gain some valuable info on what to expect what crosses over ? Factory drive shaft ? Will I need too lengthen ? Shorten ? Or use a donor drive shaft maybe a long bed 2500 OBS drive shaft for instance you get my point ? This is all going behind a 5.7 vortec
Just mostly looking to know what to lean towards as far as Year for the best compatible donor parts . V6 nv3500 v8 nv3500 stay with one from a OBS c1500? Use a 98+ s10 nv3500 ?
Clutch pedal works best ?
Thanks in advance
I would stick with a 96+ obs cause it could be a direct swap with parts bolting in, being front seats forward is same between truck and suv

The s10 nv3500 has a close ratio between gears and the shifter is further back

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would stick with a 96+ obs cause it could be a direct swap with parts bolting in, being front seats forward is same between truck and suv

The s10 nv3500 has a close ratio between gears and the shifter is further back
I found a 2000’ Silverado with a manual that I have a small window of opportunity to pull the trans . I’m needing help on figuring out what it may have as a trans prior to driving to it
What transmission were usually put in or optionally put in the standard can 2000’ Silverado with the 4.3 vortec
Hoping its the nv3500 I’m in search of but being a v6 I wasn’t sure if they did the nv1500 in full sizes

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a 2000’ Silverado with a manual that I have a small window of opportunity to pull the trans . I’m needing help on figuring out what it may have as a trans prior to driving to it
What transmission were usually put in or optionally put in the standard can 2000’ Silverado with the 4.3 vortec
Hoping its the nv3500 I’m in search of but being a v6 I wasn’t sure if they did the nv1500 in full sizes
That'll have a nv3500