Suburban flip kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so checking into goodies for dropping my '97 Suburban project. I noticed the BellTech flip kit is listed as a 7" drop, not the 6" drop I'm used to with pickup flip kits. What gives? Also it seems to me like a Suburban is already lower in the back, stock, than pickups - more level from the factory than raked. Is 7" going to be (dare I say it) too low?

Wonder what combo I would use up front to have a nice level drop. Seems like a 4" combo of spring/spindle might not be enough to be level, might have to go 5" using 3" springs.

Richard

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I was looking at this for my 95 burb as well. The suburban is a little lower in the rear than the trucks due to the weight. I was going to do a 4/4 drop to get it level but my other truck has priority right now.

This includes spindles and springs in the front. Remove a leaf in the back and use drop shackles but I wasn't sure about removing a leaf since I pull a trailer from time to time. Basically the same look as a 4/6 on a pickup.

You might be able to flip the hangers to raise it back up an inch or two.

I was discussing this with Draggin95 since he lowered a burb like this. Maybe he will chime in.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been some time since I was looking at them, but I thought I was looking at like DJM kits that came with a 1" lift shackle to compensate for the 7" the flip gives.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hrm. Well I've got some homework to do then...but it'll probably happen when I actually have the parts in my hands and the truck blown apart. ;)

I would never remove a leaf from a Suburban. I'm not a fan of pulling leafs anyway, but IMO if there was ever a truck that needs MORE spring it's these wallowy-worn-out-Caddy ridin' Suburbans! :gr_grin:

I'll be looking into adding more spring to it even if it means buying a set of custom new leaf packs. Too bad you can't just swap pickup springs into them, otherwise I'd try a set from a 2500LD. Anyway the additional spring rate would probably offset that extra inch of drop plus give a better ride.

Richard

99kon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The new gmt900 trucks flip kit also drops the trucks 7" and use a 1" lift shackle to get it back to 6" drop

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I have lowered 2 burb's by the method mentioned above, I use spindles and springs up front for a 4 inch drop, and in the rear the 2wd burb leaf pack has 4 leaves plus overload vs the 2wd truck pack that has 3 plus overload, so I remove 1 spring from the pack to make it have 3 leaves plus overload just like the truck leaf pack, then I add 2 in. drop shackles, it gives me a nice 4 in drop, and in the end they sit with the same rake they did from the factory just 4 inches lower all the way around. I do also run the belltech burb notch with this drop though, without it the axle frequently hits the frame. I also run shock extenders on the rear.