sub boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
can i make boxes for my subs out of wafer board? ive been hearing particle board is ideal but i hate that stuff with a passion. what would go wrong if i used the wafer board instead of particle?

GoodOleBoy

Reaction score
if you dont want to use MDF the other good option is Birch. dont know about the wafer board but it seems like it wouldnt be as good

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
I'm a little confused as to how you like waferboard but not partical board though lol. *shrug*, to each their own.

MDF would be best IMO, then Particle. Waferboard would be low on my list of suggested woods, but it'd work. I'm not sure how air tight waferboard is. I assume it'd still be airtight, it's just not ideal for a sub box. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't want to use wafer board (aka Chip Board) for a sub box, it does not have good properties for a sub enclosure. You see MDF is ideal for enclosures. I would recommend 3/4" MDF, or at the very least 5/8" MDF. And it's also crucial that your able to make every joint air tight (regardless if your going ported or sealed). And MDF is also very easy to work with! Hope that helps clear that up a bit for you Tyler!

KingofKarma

Reaction score
also consider the acouistics of the material even if a box made of cardboard were sealed air tight it would not sound good due to its density and resonance

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
mhmm this is making sense. i just dont like particle board as its flimsy, makes a mess, not very strong etc. i dont know anything audio wise but talking about being airtight, and all that fancy stuff makes me realize that using particle board is common for those reasons. ill check around homedepot or restore in the next few days. trucks going to the shop first cause i have no oil pressure but after that its game on