Stupid shock questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wark88

Reaction score
Hey stupid question, how tight do I torque down the nut on the front shocks on my 97? And also, what are the best bushings?

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4

Wark88

Reaction score
Thanks ill check that tool out.. And I'll post pics of what happens to the crappy bushings that come with my shocks when I get home.. Thank goodness for autozone free replacement... But then again.. That warranty doesn't cover everything...

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4

Wark88

Reaction score
The instruction sheet that came with the shocks said to tighten the nut down until right as the bushing starts to bulge.. Ok done.. two days later I see that the nut has punched straight threw the top washer and the bushing has all but disintegrated..

You must be registered for see images

Causing the nut and stud to go through the frame mount when I go over bumps

And then bounce around and wreak havoc on everything

The other side..

Iv since upgraded the washers to the grade 8 hardened washers and nuts so they won't be a problem.. But still having a problem with the crappy bushings dissolving... Has anyone else had this problem???

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I never seen anything like that, what brand are those?

As far as bushings go, see what Energy Suspension has to offer. I never used their shock absorber bushings, but I have their sway bar link bushings on all of my trucks. Good stuff.

Wark88

Reaction score
Those are Gabriel shocks from autozone...

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you bought too short of a shock? The shock should not pull through like that if it is the correct length.

What im seeing is the shocks you have currently are trying to limit downward suspension travel which they should never do, that's what droop stops are for. With it trying to limit travel it is literally pulling the shock through.

Any lift in this truck?

Wark88

Reaction score
No lift on the truck yet.. Will be soon, that's why I went with autozone brand shocks instead of forking the money over for some Bilsteins when I'm going to need new ones when I lift it anyway..

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4

Wark88

Reaction score
Part Number: 81668

Just upgraded to their "best" ones (Part Number: G63489) to see if they were any better... But same crappy bushings and washers came with it, that's why I got the grade 8 hardened ones to reenforce it..

97 GMC C1500
L31, M30, G80, GT4