Stupid question re: exhaust tip on stock tailpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just welded the stock tailpipe onto the magnaflow muffler on my truck to get rid of the stupid turndown pipe drone. Now it sounds great but the stock tailpipe looks ugly.

I'm looking to buy a stainless or chrome slash cut tip to throw on to dressup the stock tailpipe. At the very edge as near as I can tell the OD is 2.75" but further in near the 90* where I would attach it seems to be 3"

Should I be buying a 3" inlet tip?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I'd buy a 3inch id tip and rent an exhaust cutting / flaring set from advanced. You could slide the tip over the pipe into location and flare it to fit. I've done it a bunch of times. It's a $80 deposit in which you get back upon return.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an exhaust flare tool, not too worried about the final fitment, I just want to be more ballpark than 2.75" to 3" as that might crack a double wall style tip like the magnaflow I'm looking at.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just take a dial caliper and measure the OD dimension of the pipe where the tip will weld onto the tailpipe. If the OD of the tubing is 2.75", then you'll want a 2.75" ID inlet on the tip; Which would be a 3" ID.