stuff that catches my eye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I blow out the cobwebs every morning when I merge onto the interstate...

When I first picked up my truck and drove it back, my buddy who was following me watched me gun it and said that "black smoke" came out of the tailpipe. I think it was just soot from never getting over 2k rpm since 2002. She hasn't "smoked" since :driver:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This truck was taken care of. I bought it from the second owner. Both owners had meticulous records and it even had the window sticker. I got it with 79k and a dead hole in the 6.5. It is one of 3 6.5's that have been in my possession with less than 125k and a major failure. I'm hoping that my roll of the dice with the 6.5 that I recently acquired will have a better future.

Mmm...5-star Alcoas; and honestly I would've taken the hint after the 2nd truck and swapped in a Cummins, that seems to be the cure-all for any 6.5 liter let downs.
I'm looking forward to seeing the engine in Pearl being built up; 4th time's the charm?

but somehow the 6.5 i sold my brother in law with like 400k miles and beat to absolute **** is still going.
Maybe that's the key to building a death-proof 6.5? Take a good high mileage block and crank, a set of good high mileage heads, cart 'em off to a machine shop and build up from there?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mmm...5-star Alcoas; and honestly I would've taken the hint after the 2nd truck and swapped in a Cummins, that seems to be the cure-all for any 6.5 liter let downs.
I'm looking forward to seeing the engine in Pearl being built up; 4th time's the charm?

Maybe that's the key to building a death-proof 6.5? Take a good high mileage block and crank, a set of good high mileage heads, cart 'em off to a machine shop and build up from there?
The cost of a Cummins and the fact that I had over 1K in brand new 6.5 specific parts sitting here made it a tough choice. That is why it has been down for almost 4 years.

A "seasoned" 6.5 isn't a bad thing until you have to rebuild. There just isn't enough good metal to bore cylinders and turn cranks. They are known for cracking in the main bearing webs so many times a "good" block really isn't.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cost of a Cummins and the fact that I had over 1K in brand new 6.5 specific parts sitting here made it a tough choice. That is why it has been down for almost 4 years.

A "seasoned" 6.5 isn't a bad thing until you have to rebuild. There just isn't enough good metal to bore cylinders and turn cranks. They are known for cracking in the main bearing webs so many times a "good" block really isn't.

Makes sense when you've got a mountain of parts on standby.
And that blows about not being able to rebuild a 6.5; I thought I remembered something about the blocks not being cast strong enough to stand up to a severe rebuild.