Stuck with Solid blinkers once I added New led corner markers ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I got mine from SuperBrightLEDs.com way back in 2015, and they sure weren't nearly that expensive lol. Honestly, they're simple little components with a VERY low failure rate no matter what you go with - the cheapest ones on Amazon will probably last decades.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you can use LED bulbs that glow regardless of polarity and it will function as intended, will probably still hyperflash tho. I think they market those bulbs as ones that don't set codes in newer cars.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hack a stock flasher, or add "load resistors" up front. Either are are easy and inexpensive. If you do the resistors be sure to mount them somewhere that they won't melt or burn anything as they get hot as hell. I mounted them on the inner fender wall up front near the core support, with a little bit of heat sink compound to help them transfer the heat into the sheetmetal.

Hacking the stock flasher is as simple as popping the cover off and using an Xacto knife, or very small side cutters, to cut one leg on a chip.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
From another thread on this forum.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the flasher modified? Every 400 with the newer flasher unit I've seen will hyperflash. Mine certainly did when I only had LEDs in the front and incandescent in the rear until I put in an EP29L flasher. Then I had to add the resistors when I went fully LED.

The load resistors do help with hyperflashing *sometimes* but also give the flasher unit a load so it thinks there's something there to flash. That in the screenshot will work perfectly. One for each side, one end of the resistor on the front blinker wires (light blue, dark blue), other end to ground. Do not use the brown wire, that is the park lamps wire and will not help anything.

The reverse lights are not part of any flasher circuit therefore don't matter.
Got the parts …so This looking like what you said to do ?
I wired one end of the resistor into the (Driver) Lt blue wire on the 194 plug The other open end am gonna terminal ring and tap screw to core support ground -
Nothing is actually being hard wired into the corner marker plugs I’m assuming . Only the Lt blue and Dk blue off the corner marker plugs ?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got mine from SuperBrightLEDs.com way back in 2015, and they sure weren't nearly that expensive lol. Honestly, they're simple little components with a VERY low failure rate no matter what you go with - the cheapest ones on Amazon will probably last decades.
Got it all fixed up !
Flashing like it should … And the resistors were 16$ a set. Thanks for the input and help !!
The only I guess minor thing I noticed is they all dont blink in sequence between the park lamps and corners . They however do blink in sync only with the….. Headlamp switch turned off

Might take someone who has full led corners too know if that’s normal or not.
The End result they are all blinking so …

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of god please don’t use scotch locks on anything automotive. You’re asking for future issues. Solder solder solder, heat shrink, and loom as needed.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Got it all fixed up !
Flashing like it should … And the resistors were 16$ a set. Thanks for the input and help !!
The only I guess minor thing I noticed is they all dont blink in sequence between the park lamps and corners . They however do blink in sync only with the….. Headlamp switch turned off

Might take someone who has full led corners too know if that’s normal or not.
The End result they are all blinking so …
With the lights off the markers will flash in sync with the fronts, with the lights on the markers will alternate with the fronts, this is normal.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

AK49BWL beat me to it but that's normal operation on these trucks. The corners and parking lights only flash together when the headlights are off. When they're on, the parking lights and corners will alternate.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your saying with a stock flasher relay ‘which that’s what I have not the one designed to fix hyper flashing that you can grab at the local auto parts.

Plus with me having LED 3157 tail bulbs and led reverse bulbs and two front amber Led parking lamp bulbs .

That is why whjw I turn my parking lights on everything is just is at a stand still solid lit because I added led corner markers limiting the flashers ability

Greetings A97obs,

In the '97 Factory Service manual I found a description of the circuit that reinforces what
@AK49BWL and @df2x4 were describing. There is some modest analog trickery going on -- in
particular the fact that having 12V on both sides of a bulb will indeed shut it off:

And just in case you ever wondered what was going on inside an old-school flasher that made
that distinct clicking sound while interrupting the circuit, this is a pretty neat video including slo-mo:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And if this piqued your curiosity, in the same FSM there's wiring diagrams
that show how the headlamp switch + the turn signals + the emergency flashers
are all interconnected. Strange but true. (At least there isn't a half-dozen standalone
ECUs talking to each other over a CAN bus in order to provide this functionality. :0)

FWIW --

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And just in case you ever wondered what was going on inside an old-school flasher that made
that distinct clicking sound while interrupting the circuit, this is a pretty neat video including slo-mo:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And if this piqued your curiosity, in the same FSM there's wiring diagrams
that show how the headlamp switch + the turn signals + the emergency flashers
are all interconnected. Strange but true. (At least there isn't a half-dozen standalone
ECUs talking to each other over a CAN bus in order to provide this functionality. :0)

FWIW --
we took the cover off and watched the bimetal strip work in high school. My 70 Impala had it mounted to the metal dash brace and was very loud.