STUCK Speedometer Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

35olds

Reaction score
Sometimes , after sitting for a while , the speedo. will not work . I'll wrap on the dash top with the flat of my hand and it starts to work again . Anyone having this problem , or have a remedy . 1988 Chevrolet Silverado .
THANKS ,

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground, or a lose connection. Remove the face of the dash, pretty easy, then pull the cluster out and check the connections. Hopefully you can find it from there - if not - remove the whole dash SUCKS.

GL!

35olds

Reaction score
I should have replied sooner , I took the whole dash apart , heck It's all solid state , electrical boards , way over my head . there are no ground wires anywhere . What now , it still does it . I just keep driving and it comes back on . then it will go off again . The brake light system is also involved , nothing wrong with the brakes but when I loose speedo the dash brake light warning starts blinking . I unplug the wires at the brake junction block and the light stays off until the speedo stops again . Other than probably a very expensive fix , I'll just keep driving it until I get a response from another driver that knows .
Thanks , Bob

35olds

Reaction score
Hey guess what , I think I may have fixed the problem . Looking on the net some guy gave a tip . The speed sensor . I replaced it and so far , problem has went away !