Speedometer stuck @100mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lcarjr

Reaction score
I was involved in a accident recently and I started to rebuild my ‘99 tahoe. Everything on the dash worked fine after the accident, mostly body stuff got dinged up(fender, hood radiator support, bumper, etc.). Apart from the vacuum booster to which I already replaced. I do need to bleed the ABS system, any tips on how to do that. But anyways, my Speedometer was working fine after the accident and all, it was until I started working on the truck and replacing parts to which I also disconnected the battery and now that I’m almost done I connected the battery and the speedometer is stuck @100mph. I checked my grounds disconnected the battery again for a couple of minutes but everything else looks fine and it still stays stuck @100mpg Any idea what might be the root of the issue?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t, I do want to buy a budget scanner do you have any recommendations ?
I first bought a cheap autel from home cheapo then I bought a more professional type scanner from autel. I'll post a pic later. What I was getting at is see if your speed sensor working on the ecm and if it's reading the correct speed. Then you can determine it your guage is faulty or if the accident made the needle loose some how.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I connected the battery and the speedometer is stuck @100mph. I checked my grounds disconnected the battery again for a couple of minutes but everything else looks fine and it still stays stuck @100mpg Any idea what might be the root of the issue?

Should I assume you have

- turned on the ignition,

- started the engine (this would indicate the ECU is probably working fine),

- turned off the ignition/ engine, and

- the speedometer continually indicates 100 MPH all the while?

Is that correct?

Lcarjr

Reaction score
Should I assume you have

- turned on the ignition,

- started the engine (this would indicate the ECU is probably working fine),

- turned off the ignition/ engine, and

- the speedometer continually indicates 100 MPH all the while?

Is that correct?
Yes, I’ve done all these things. Truck turns on just fine as if nothing happened.