Strange Whining Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the truck a little bit today ran some errands in town and before getting home I noticed a slight whining noise when stopped. The noise is very faint but I'm **** about listening for that kinda stuff. I thought maybe the alternator or something but after popping the hood, crawling around all over it and under it everything looks and sounds fine. I can only hear it when I'm sitting in the truck. I also kicked the defroster on to see if it made a change but it didn't. The only thing particular about the noise is when you shut the truck off you can hear the whining noise for a split second after the engine shuts off almost like an air pressure or something backing off. I know it's weird and kind of hard to explain lol. You guys have any ideas?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Fuel pumps in these trucks tend to be noisy. I hear mine for a few seconds after I turn it off. Kinda of a whirrrrring noise as it winds down. It can be heard if I specifically listen for it when the truck's running. After a pump change I've noticed some are noisier than others.
Just a guess though. Kinda hard to diagnose without actually hearing it.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Try this, get in your truck and turn the key to the on position, but don't start the truck and listen to see if you hear the noise. If you do its most likely the fuel pump you're hearing.

Sent from My padded cell using tapatalk 2

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kinda thinking maybe it's the fuel pump thats why I'm hearing it for a split second after the engine shuts off. I will try setting in it with just the key on and see if I hear it. I did call a local parts place tonight to price a new fuel pump in the event that's what it is, $249.00. I figure it might be easier and quicker to just remove the bed then to drop the tank.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't expect to get rid of it by replacing it. They all hum.

Yeah everyone I've ever been around had the same start up whine but mine didn't start having the constant whine til today. I also noticed that the whine doesn't get any louder when you increase rpms so thats making me lean even more towards the fuel pump, time will tell I guess.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came in from the garage, jumped in the truck and turned the key on, fuel pump did it's initial whine and stopped no noise at all. I decided to fire it up and wouldn't you know no whining noise at all. The only difference between when I heard it earlier today and now is the engine temp, very weird probably gonna be one of those intermitent things that drives a guy crazy lol. I guess I'll see if it happens again.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't go to the parts store for a fuel pump...goodness.

RockAuto.com has an AC Delco pump for $36.79+shipping, and an entire Delphi (also highly recommended) sending unit w/ pump for $198 + shipping.

Both will far outlast the parts store brand units by a long time.