stock ride height sac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998z71

Reaction score
hey guys im new here and im going to be swapping a 5.3 into my 98 z71 before to long but after that i would like to straight axle the truck but im not wanting to go very big and it seems like all these kits are a minimum of 6"s of lift but im wanting a close to factory ride height sa truck any body done this kind of build ? any clearance issues ? what axle works best ? any pics ? any help would be appreciated dont really want to go with any bigger than a 33" tire thanks

92gmc4x4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Minimum I heard is 5 Inchs of the diff will hit stuff

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of suspension you go with. Fabworx has a "Low" kit that when said and done is only about 3 inches over stock.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I did mine custom, and I have 8" of lift up front. There is only about 5" of uptravel before the axle could hit the frame, and i cut a heck of a lot off the front crossmember.

I have a thick spring pack, you could gain 1" back from that with the right springs.

Last edited:

1998z71

Reaction score
yea id deff like to keep it under 5 inches i could go three and still look okay with a 33" tire guess ill have to crawl under there and do some lookin

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Here is mine with 8" of lift and 285/75R16 tires.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a shot of the spring/frame clearance. It's the worse at the very front where the original a-arms mount. I cut that cross member down and plated it.

If your wanting to keep it lower, I could see ending up with 5-6" of lift but without sacrificing uptravel it doesn't seem feasible.

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
i have always wanted to do the same but now it seems my dreams are crushed. no since in a sas if you don't have the travel.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
To be stock height, it's just not going to happen without significant cutting of the frame.... Basically you'd have to put in a c-notch if you wanted any uptravel. Look at where the centerline of your existing CV axle is... not very far below the frame. The frame is able to hang low due to the fact that the movement takes place outboard of the frame.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Here is mine with 8" of lift and 285/75R16 tires.

Here is a shot of the spring/frame clearance. It's the worse at the very front where the original a-arms mount. I cut that cross member down and plated it.

If your wanting to keep it lower, I could see ending up with 5-6" of lift but without sacrificing uptravel it doesn't seem feasible.

not to thread jack but i love those rims on your truck