Stock/OEM Seat covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Katzkin are super nice though. Worth every penny of you've ever seen/sat on them in person...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Katzkin are super nice though. Worth every penny of you've ever seen/sat on them in person...

And even at $1k, Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Sewlow said in a thread a few months ago that the average for a shop to redo just the seats is around $2k - $3k.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how the hell the arm rest comes off the 95+ buckets so I can put some more padding in mine....

But I also would def be interested in a katzkin buy...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just re-read the following. A bit of a rant. Apologies. It's been a !@#$ day!

All those Co.'s listed have way greater buying power, when it comes to buying the raw materials, than I do, in my little one-man shop. Same as a group buy. Greater quantity, better price. That's why my jobs cost more.
But, if the job is anything other than a stock recover, it's custom, all the way. One of a kind. I never repeat a design, so you'll never see another like it.
My cost on 'average' automotive leather runs about $10/sq. ft. I can get you leather that costs up to $28/sq. ft., or more if you want. Most people don't!
It takes 18/sq. ft. of leather to make one linear yard of fabric. (36"X54").
To do a set of Yukon buckets, figure around 2.5 -3 yards of fabric (or Vinyl) per seat. I'd order 6. To be safe.
That's equal to 108 sq. ft. of leather. At $10/sq. ft., that's $1080.00!
Plus some foam (1/2"), some glue, a few supplies, & taxes. Getting close to $1300.00!
And I haven't turned a wrench yet.
From the moment I start to take the seats out, to the time they're getting bolted back in. 30 hours.
If there's a console involved, add 10 hours for recovering & re & re.
My shop rate is $65/hr. $50/hr for club members or GMT400 members. Repeat customer's always get the good price!
So, labour would be $2600.00 or $2000.00, depending on what I said about the 'member' thing.
Total cost would be $3900.00 or $3300.00.
Seriously though. If I can actually make those numbers, I'm patting myself on the back!
Depending on a customer's attitude, those totals can be somewhat flexible.
Usually I'll shock them with those costs, first. The give a 'good guy' deal, so they're in the $2800.00 - $3200.00 range.
I'd rather be working for a bit less, than not at all!

Now the aftermarket guys are buying in huge quantity. What costs me $10/sq. ft., costs them maybe $4.00
They cut everything out by a computer controled laser. Whole seat covers at a time outa one hide, all at once! In minutes! Mind you, that ain't a cheap machine by any means! But even still, the manual labour to do that is minimal.
I lay out, then cut out, each and every piece by hand.
They have close-to-minimum-wage labourers sewing them up.
I get paid the same, whether I'm cutting, sewing or assembling.
With their end product, you have a choice in color &/or pattern, but only within the parameters of the choices they offer.
I have an imagination. That's limitless.
I cannot even to begin to compete with what they do. Certainly not price-wise. And I don't want to.
Nothing wrong with the products. A little bit cookie-cutter maybe, but there are alternatives.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Are ya ina hurry? I CAN do that, but I need the covers as a pattern. Is the truck your DD or a toy?

Its a DD. If its possible I'll go pull a cover off a junkyard truck and send it to ya to go by. The armrest bothers me more than the seat really.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Chris, that'd work!
As much as I'd like to say that I could get on it right away, I can't.
I've been putting in 18 hr. days in the last little while. This could go on for the next couple of months! Today started @ 6:30 am. I'm still in my shop, now. Installing a conv. top on a '58 Fairlane 500, & it's been fighting me all the way. This is in someone else's shop. Worked on that till 3:30 pm. till my hands wouldn't do it no more. Now I'm in my shop doing a complete interior in a '60 T-Bird. And there is more work being booked almost daily.
If I get a chance, in the next little bit, I will remove one of the armrests in my '98. That way I can give you & Paul #2 (& anyone else) a complete rundown on how to do this.
I will be re-doing the interior of my '98 this winter. I am going to do a thread on this. It will include everything. As complete as I can make it. It will include removal, tear down, lay-out, cut out, sewing, & new cover install on the frames, along with sound deadening, new carpets, & headliner. Plus more. Stereo stuff, etc.
As it is right now, though, that is gonna be a couple of months down the road. Gotta build up some cash reserve so I can play! (Which I did too much of, this summer!)

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.leatherseats.com does nice work. I got my leather for my 93 Camaro from there, $800 front and back. Very high quality stuff too. If you don't see your setup listed, it might be worth making a call directly to them. I was lucky my GMT400 has a bench seat. Stock vinyl upholstry was only $200 from www.LMCtruck.com

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Chris, that'd work!
As much as I'd like to say that I could get on it right away, I can't.
I've been putting in 18 hr. days in the last little while. This could go on for the next couple of months! Today started @ 6:30 am. I'm still in my shop, now. Installing a conv. top on a '58 Fairlane 500, & it's been fighting me all the way. This is in someone else's shop. Worked on that till 3:30 pm. till my hands wouldn't do it no more. Now I'm in my shop doing a complete interior in a '60 T-Bird. And there is more work being booked almost daily.
If I get a chance, in the next little bit, I will remove one of the armrests in my '98. That way I can give you & Paul #2 (& anyone else) a complete rundown on how to do this.
I will be re-doing the interior of my '98 this winter. I am going to do a thread on this. It will include everything. As complete as I can make it. It will include removal, tear down, lay-out, cut out, sewing, & new cover install on the frames, along with sound deadening, new carpets, & headliner. Plus more. Stereo stuff, etc.
As it is right now, though, that is gonna be a couple of months down the road. Gotta build up some cash reserve so I can play! (Which I did too much of, this summer!)

If you cold just do an arm-rest cover I'd be one of your happiest customers! ha no hurry!