Stepside bed damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking for a bed for my truck and got an email about this step side. The person is asking $400, and sent me the following pictures. Only damage looks to be the rear corner. Now I have very little fiberglass experience, but I have patched up fiberglass fenders before. My question is how hard would fixing this cab corner be? and is $400 a decent price?I have to drive around 70-80miles for it. so I want to be sure this is something that is doable.

The photos are attached below...

Any input is always appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_1974.jpg
    100_1974.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_1973.jpg
    100_1973.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1971.jpg
    100_1971.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good. Right now my bed has almost no supports under it - they all rusted away..... so I am going to check out this bed and make sure its in good shape. He does have a fleet side for $400 as well, and I am going to pick the better of the two. How much of the step side is fiberglass? I was under the impression most of it was fiberglass.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
If I remember right the bedsides are the only fiberglass parts. The front of th bed, the inside, and therops of the bedsides are metal

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep only the bedsides are fiberglass if your going to go with the fleetside bed your going to have to get the filler neck for that bed

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Yep only the bedsides are fiberglass if your going to go with the fleetside bed your going to have to get the filler neck for that bed

I was looking for ate read from him with pics and his truck is a fleetside in some older posts, so he would need the filler neck from the stepside and also trim the small plastic piece ontop of the rear bumper.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ther rear bumpers are diffrent as well. The lip on the top of the bumpers is whats diffrent

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was saying. You can trim the piece on the fleetside bumper to fit a stepside but to go fleetside you have to replace it or get a new bumper, or live with the gap.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ohh I see. I am going from a fleet side to step side bed so any help would be awesome. with fitting a fleetside bumper to a step side bumper, which part of the bumper needs to be trimmed ? and for the fuel filler, is it the rubber hose that needs to be trimmed ? or do I need the entire assembly from the step side bed ?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Ignore the dirt, but the piece my finger is on.

You must be registered for see images attach

That piece sits between the bedsides under the tailgate. If you look at yours, it's as wide/long as your tailgate is, whereas on mine (stepside) it's only as wide as the stepside tailgate.

To make it work you have 3 options.

1. Get some snips or anything that'll cut it, and trim it down to as wide as the strip on the stepside bumper (I'll go measure the piece for ya if you want, or

2 get a stepside bumper, or

3. Replace the step pad on top of your bumper with one from a stepside.

I'd just trim it unless you just need a new bumper. Also the filler neck is rubber if I remember correctly, and it's clamped together, so you "should" be able to trim it down to the length needed for the stepside bed. (I'm not sure how much you'd need to trim it.)