Steering wheel off after shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the post was about a week ago, but let me ask. What was the reason for replacing the intermediate shaft / joint?
If it went down the road straight with the steering wheel dead on and you have no issues with tire wear, the alignment shop is going to sent you a X-Mas card. Pull the steering wheel with the truck going straight while stopped and pull the steering wheel and put back on straight. I don't trust aftermarket trick parts and could be machined wrong. If I took it out of an ACDelco box, pre-marked the shafts splines, there should be no problem. But at the alignment shop, they place a spring load steering wheel holder while straight ahead. When done, if the numbers on the screen are correct, but the steering wheel is crooked, it comes off and re-installed...straight.
Pull the steering wheel?? And the only reason I replaced it was beside the boot is all torn up and also because it seemed like a cool mod overall that was very expensive. But I totally regret it now lol

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyway, I got it back from the shop and it’s not much better. I assume I’m just going to have to live with it and not be baby about my old truck not being perfect. Here is a photo of what the steering wheel is like when going straight and also my alignment specs.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet the xj shaft ends weren’t orientated the same way in relation to each other compared to the stock shaft. That’s the only thing that would make sense in this scenario. I hope I don’t run into this. About to grab one for myself

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You say that, but OP stated that he also reinstalled the stock shaft and it was still off. I managed to install my shaft wrong once before, I expected the flat to line up with something other than what it was supposed to and I made it fit. Wheel was way off which is how I discovered the error of my ways. This is the only possible explanation here as the shaft was the only thing changed.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
weird, my pitman arm replacement sounds similar to this. ended up being the pitman arm being indexed incorrectly. ac delco worked.... you didnt happen to change your pitman arm, did you?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Index the steering wheel correctly just like the factory built it. Then use the tie rods to align the wheels to make the truck track straight. If the alignment shop cannot get the wheel straight with the truck on the rack you need to find a better shop.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Index the steering wheel correctly just like the factory built it. Then use the tie rods to align the wheels to make the truck track straight. If the alignment shop cannot get the wheel straight with the truck on the rack you need to find a better shop.
That’s kinda what I was thinking...