Steering slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wanted to do this a while ago but didnt see much on it. glad yall are doing it now. thers tons of xjs in yards around here so ill go pic one up here soon after i seem some better pics how to do it. i was going to replace my rag at one point but i took it back and decided id do this mod one day

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
O.K. Sorry for the delay. Other stuff goin' on, couldn't be helped.
Anyways, here's a some pix of the shaft installed.

Original shaft, with the rag joint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeep shaft installed. When attaching it to the steering box, it wanted to slip down all the way until it was right up against the box itself. So I just slipped a large flat screwdriver tip between the box & the end of the shaft so that it wouldn't bind.

Sorry about the focus. Damn point-&-shoot cameras! This is the attachment to the steering column at the firewall. It was kind of a pain to get in there because of the M/C in the way. Where you can see the bolt, is where the cloumn end piece had to be ground away some, in order for the bolt to clear the shaft. It doesn't take much grinding to make some clearance for that. I got a bit carried away with that, but I did that far enough up the column shaft so that the jeep shaft won't fall off, if by chance that the bolt does loosen off.

The hardest part in doing this was getting the rag-joint cover off, & heating up the jeep shaft enough in order to get the two pieces to seperate. It had rusted together. A little bit of time on the wire wheel, & some wheel bearing grease & it was like new. Getting the old shaft out of my truck was a piece of cake. Undo the two bolts on either end, stick that large flat screwdriver between the rag-joint & the box, & pried it up towards the firewall & it was apart.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I've never washed the firewall in this truck. Inside the door jambs & inside the tailgate jamb is just as clean! One of the reasons I bought it.