Steering slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the Borgeson site only shows though a 1994? Mine is a 1995. I know it went to the airbag. I wonder would it fit still?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
95 was the first year that has the steering shaft with the extra knuckle joint. As I mentioned before, with the extra joint, by adding an extra U joint this gives an extra pivot point. It allowes the shafts to get out of align with each other, and this will allow you tire alignment to be off as the wheel turns, at some point. By replacing the rag joint, this will eliminate most of the slop in the steering system, as long as the front end parts are in good shape. I replaced mine a while back, and there is still a little play, but it is very little.

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
The 95+ shaft does not have an extra joint, it just moved the joint that was under the hood near the firewall to underneath the dash. It's when you put the XJ/Borgeson shaft to a 95+ that you end up with the extra joint.

You can replace the rag joint on a 95 shaft with a Flaming River u-joint. IIRC, someone also constructed a shaft using one from an Astro van.

Finally, the Redhead gear is worth the money. As good as it gets for these trucks. I like the quick ratio in my lowered 2wd, but I don't think I'd suggest it for a 2500/3500 or lifted truck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 95+ shaft does not have an extra joint, it just moved the joint that was under the hood near the firewall to underneath the dash. It's when you put the XJ/Borgeson shaft to a 95+ that you end up with the extra joint
Sorry I was not clear, This is what I was talking about. I thought about just cutting off one of the u-joints, and replacing the rag joint connection with the u-joint, but after replacing my rag joint, the improvement in the slop was huge, so I am happy with it the way it is. It is very inexpensive to replace the rag joint, and it is effective. People get used to the feel of rack and pinion steering, and how tight it is, and then they get into one of these old trucks, and freak out. They think something is wrong, but when everything is in good shape, there is some play in the steering wheel. It will never feel like rack and pinion steering with out doing a rack and pinion swap.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Kenny, I am glad there is some sort of relief to these old trucks aside from dropping well over $200 in a new steering shaft. However, now that I have eliminated my rag joint, I don’t think I would ever go back to having one again.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I just installed a standard ratio Red Head Steering Gear in my 1995 K1500 Extended Cab. I've owned the truck a month or so and if you read my earlier post, I've been pretty frustrated with the play in the steering and replaced all tie rod ends, Pittman Arm, Idler arm and had installed a rebuilt AC Delco Steering box. The Red Head is Awesome. It's everything I had hoped it would be. I would say I have no play in my steering now. I need to get it aligned as the pitman arm threw off the steering wheel clocking about 15 degrees and could have towed in or towed out the front wheels but man, what a difference. One other thing, I still have a stock style rag joint (although I had replaced it with a rebuild kit from Rock Auto). It's great now. I was considering selling the truck or looking to retrofit with rack and pinion. So, I say with all honesty, the Red Head was 3 times expensive as the AC Delco and the Core Charge was 2 times expensive but worth every single penny. Wow. I'm passing this along for anyone in my situation. Your experience may differ but I'm super super impressed. Not often are things everything they are supposed to be. Normally I don't believe the hype but the Red Head isn't brag, they back it up. Best to you all with sloppy steering - keep at it, it can be corrected.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I’m glad you got it straightened out. I bet if you hook it up to my style steering shaft, it would be better than new. I about cringed dropping that kind of change into my steering system, but I love it. Now that I have finally found out my fuel issues, I am more pleased than ever.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 95+ shaft does not have an extra joint, it just moved the joint that was under the hood near the firewall to underneath the dash. It's when you put the XJ/Borgeson shaft to a 95+ that you end up with the extra joint.

You can replace the rag joint on a 95 shaft with a Flaming River u-joint. IIRC, someone also constructed a shaft using one from an Astro van.

Finally, the Redhead gear is worth the money. As good as it gets for these trucks. I like the quick ratio in my lowered 2wd, but I don't think I'd suggest it for a 2500/3500 or lifted truck.

would replacing just the rag joint in my truck me good enough to fix some slop? its a 2500 with 3in body lift, and i didnt want to spend 200+ and possibly cut/weld something just to fix it. its not a daily, and it will see some light off-roading.

or try the flaming river u joint?

Last edited: