Steering slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I replaced all my components: gear box, power steering hoses, idler and pitman arms, and used a borgeson u joint steering shaft. The shaft I bought was $225, but the steering is the best it has ever been. I didn't know about the XJ shaft, so I can't say if it is any better than what I did.

mistaake

Reaction score
very likely that your parts store reman steering gearbox is at fault. tried 3x different cardone rebuilt boxes in a previous 95 suburban (acdelco branded, napa branded, and cardone branded) all had play. also installed a masterpro branded cardone box in a crown vic and it was actually worse than the original. if i have to change another gearbox ever again i'm getting a redhead box - it's not a fun job to do multiple times for bad results.

yes, it could also be the shaft.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you haven't replaced the rag joint, that is where your problem is most likely. This is the rubber disc @ the steering shaft to steering gear box. The Jeep swap will do an even better job of taking out the slack.

is there a part number or vehicle model/year for this swap?

i also have alot of play in my steering, but since it has 150K and sat alot of its life, i figured steering box anyway. im constantly chasing the truck while going down the road. i cant just keep it straight....it takes constant right/left correction. most of the front end is new, save for lower BJs, and shocks. fresh alignment also.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
X2----What He said,,,,In the 96 + trucks, there is another knuckle joint, and adding the extra U joint will cause the steering shaft to get off center, this will effect the tire alignment.

How convenient that GM decided to add difficulty to the steering system.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did those of you with the Redhead gears see a huge difference when replacing the gear? Did you go with the quicker ration steering box or std? I bought a 1995 Z-71 extended cab 3 weeks ago and knew there was waaaay too much play in the steering but hoped it would be a 20 dollar rag joint. Truck has 154,000 miles. So I replaced the rag joint and decided to put in a new steering box and I bought an AC Delco rebuilt after looking at a cardone and suspecting it might have play. I didn't want to take a chance. Well, it still had lots of play. So I replaced the Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and all 4 tie rod end joints and it still has lots of play, maybe 1 to 2 inches either side of center. It is better but only marginally. I'm frustrated. I haven't hardly driven it because it bothers me so much. No I haven't replaced the ball joints or A arm bushings and maybe that is next. It runs straight down the road and doesn't wander and the tires wear great. I need a buddy to wiggle the wheel while I crawl under but dont have anyone near but the wife. I'm going to try to vise grip in the steering shaft and wiggle it and look as best I can. I had a 1990 in 1995 with 80,000 miles and I dont remember play even being an issue? So, although it's not rack and pinion which is a better design, I hope these trucks are capable of having reasonably tight steering. If not I'll end up selling or trying to weld in to run a rack and pinion. I cant handle this play. I really cant. I hear no poping in the column but it is a tilt. Anybody have play that was in the steering column that was the problem. My guess is that my new rebuilt AC Delco box is suspect. I'm going to try tightening the adjustor like on a worn out box. I wonder in the end will I need to spend $$$ to get a redhead box and get rid of the new AC Delco Reman unit. They bragged on their testing and that got me. I know its something, I just wish I knew what. I doubt its the ball joints or wheel bearings or a arm bushings as it drives straight with no wierd tire wear and I had it aligned and they didn't report anything worn. Maybe I will replace the remainder and then find I need a RedHead box to replace the new reman AC Delco? I'm just so frustrated. I love these trucks but this play is getting me down. People keep asking, why dont you drive your new truck... RedHead owners and Non-RedHead owners? These trucks can have decently tight steering - right?

Last edited:

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other thing. I have Toyo Mud terrains. 305/70R16. I feel the play when sitting still and wiggling the steering wheel so I'm pretty sure the tires are not my main issue but has anyone had a deal where the spongy mud terrain and the tall tire sidewalls have caused the truck to react less quickly to steering inputs? I'm stumped.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
To answer your question about the non redhead box:

For me I used a reman cardone box with a Borgeson unjointed steering shaft which is a cut to fit shaft. This replaced the factory rag joint setup, and I will say it was night and day difference. I would almost compare it to the aforementioned rack and pinion steering system, because I can move my steering wheel just a little bit and the truck responds almost instantly.

I didn’t make any adjustments to the box, and in my replacement I replaced the idler and pitman arms. I had previously replaced all other suspension parts prior to the gear box and steering shaft.