Steering slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
would replacing just the rag joint in my truck me good enough to fix some slop? its a 2500 with 3in body lift, and i didnt want to spend 200+ and possibly cut/weld something just to fix it. its not a daily, and it will see some light off-roading.

or try the flaming river u joint?
if it is the OE rag joint that has never been replaced, then yes, it will help a lot, as long as the front end parts are good. It was a big help in my truck, anyway. If you remove the plastic cover over the rag joint, and have someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you are looking at the rag joint, you should be able to see the play in it.

codyw20

Reaction score
When I got my truck a few months ago (94 SBEC) it has litterally about 4 inches of turn play in the wheel before it would even start to turn the tires. I did the XJ steering shaft swap (gets rid of rag joint) and it cut that play completely in half. So it is a great upgrade. Now I just need to get the redhead.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i finally did the jag joint. it wasnt the easiest job ive done, but not the hardest. it definitely tightened up the steering some, but im sure it still needs a new steering box anyway. i also have to do the LBJs and pitman arm. itll be a multi step process.