steering gearbox upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
Surprised to hear about the RedHead Steering box issues. I've installed two other of those boxes and they were outstanding, so much better than stock. I have one sitting on my workbench ready to install into my son's 1990 K1500 that we are rebuilding all of the suspension and steering components. Will post back how it works when complete, probably at least a month away.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be a great box if the seal was seated properly at the factory and the truck had more of a street tire.
The Goodyear Duratrac tires are a bit aggressive and may have attributed to the quirky steering.
The guy answering the phone won't be there long, unless he's family.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
Time will tell for me on my son's 1990 truck. We will be running 33x12.50-15 offroad tires. On my 2005 Duramax I'm running 34" offroad tires and the Redhead box has been outstanding.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
Well, it appears that Red-Head sent me the wrong gearbox. The unit they sent me has a 3 groove spline and mine had a 4 groove spline. I'll call them today and hopefully they can ship me out a replacement and I can send their's back.

Update : Redhead is sending me the correct unit and a return shipping label for the incorrect unit. Fortunately for me, I'm not in a big hurry as the truck is still mostly disassembled for undercarriage painting.

Last edited:

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This news of Redhead lately is disappointing. I've was looking at swapping my box out during my front end rebuild this spring, and I've always heard if them being top notch. I did some research and as of the last year or so they seem to dropping off in quality and customer service according to many forums across the internet. Maybe their operations got too big for the amount of man power they have? I know they're a fairly small business. I decided to throw my stock unit back in after I cleaned it up and thoroughly checked it over, it's still nice and tight.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it appears that Red-Head sent me the wrong gearbox. The unit they sent me has a 3 groove spline and mine had a 4 groove spline. I'll call them today and hopefully they can ship me out a replacement and I can send their's back.

Update : Redhead is sending me the correct unit and a return shipping label for the incorrect unit. Fortunately for me, I'm not in a big hurry as the truck is still mostly disassembled for undercarriage painting.

Did they require you to pay an additional $100 core deposit?

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were requiring me to make an additional $100 deposit for the replacement box.
When they said that, I decided just to send the POS back for a refund.
$140 to reinstall a good box, $60 shipping of the faulty Redhead box, they said they are keeping $50 for restocking fee and I'll need another alignment.
So, $250 and 2 alignments, just so I could see how bad this company is.

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. My experience was great. I didn't send the core back for several months and the didn't give me any trouble on the refund.