steering gearbox upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta bring it up
I'm also in the thread about steering shaft wobble

But isn't gear box issues commonly mistaked with the shaft slop?

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally installed the Red Head steering gear. Everything is nice and tight now. Steering is pretty stiff to be honest. I actually rebuilt the entire front end so it's hard to tell if the steering gear alone would've made a difference. I'm getting ready to send the core steering gear back so I'll keep you posted on that process too.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth so you can see where the play is. For instance on my truck the wheel and shaft appear to move as one but I have to turn my wheel 90* before the gearbox does anything.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth so you can see where the play is. For instance on my truck the wheel and shaft appear to move as one but I have to turn my wheel 90* before the gearbox does anything.

On my 3rd reman and it does the same thing, I'm hoping the redhead is Worth it....

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally installed the Red Head steering gear. Everything is nice and tight now. Steering is pretty stiff to be honest. I actually rebuilt the entire front end so it's hard to tell if the steering gear alone would've made a difference. I'm getting ready to send the core steering gear back so I'll keep you posted on that process too.

Did the same thing. Replaced everything with Moog and a Redhead steering box. Wheels turn extremely easy.
My Redhead leaks like a sieve, so maybe that's it.

They want to charge me an additional $100 for another deposit!
If it leaks within 40 miles, how good is it.
Wanna get high at work? Go work for Redhead. Guy asked me my name 4x on one phone call. Sounded like I woke him up a 7p.m. eastern time!

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After being put on hold 4x (then asked what my name was for the 5th time) they agreed to refund my money (had to remind them about the $100 deposit they already charged...please hold...)
They are charging me a $50 restocking fee. Redhead IMO is highly NOT recommended.
I'm working a lot of OT so I now have to pay someone 2x to replace this box!
Keywords: Redhead steering box complaint

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Advance Auto has Cardone for $177 and Lares for $220 in stock
I would have bought the PSC Motorsports if I had seen this thread.
Now I'm going with the Larres. Looks like my factory box. Rebuilt in MN

http://www.larescorp.com/

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed the Redhead box today. It looks like the bottom seal was never seated properly. It sits cockeyed.

Installed the Lares box today.

The Lares box is stiffer and has a little movement (~1" or so) so feels more like my factory box, but much less slop.
The Redhead box was much easier to turn, like 1 finger steering. But, it seemed that once you went into a turn, it kept wanting to stay in the turning position rather than try to straighten out.

To me the Lares is easier to "drive", as it feels more like the original.
The Redhead felt like it wanted to dance and dart down the road.